Wiring loom oddities

I'm just making sure I know what all of the wiring at the front of the loom (front LH and RH sides) does. On the LH side I can see where everything goes including the main/dip connections, horns, indicators and parking lights. I can also see the wires that loop back into the loom to power lamps at the rear or bring power back over the the RH side.

On the RH side I have wires that I cant find a home for. After I have accounted for the horns, headlamps etc I have three wires left over.

There are two green/brown wires, and one green/red wire. All small guage.

I'm wondering if this is a universal LHD/RHD loom and these would be the return wires had this been a RHD configuration and in fact they do nothing on a LHD car ?

Stan

Hi Stan ~

Get a coloured wiring diagram which I found to be very helpful. Google up wiring diagrams.

Tom. ;)

The wiring diagrams help with how things are connected electrically but they are not much help with how the wiring is laid out physically and the stator tube design of the TR3 makes for an interesting physical configuration as it requires these odd connections at the front to loop power back through the loom to the rear and to the side opposite from the steering box (for horn and indicators).

Stan

After couple of simple tests I can confirm that on a LHD car the two green/brown wires on the right hand side must be connected together otherwise the control head will get no input from the flasher unit. One of those green/brown wires comes from the flasher unit, the other carries that flasher voltage over to the left hand side where it connects into the stator tube wiring going up to the control head.

So on a LHD car the indicator power goes from the flasher unit to the front right corner, then traverses the car through the loom over to the left front corner where it connects into the stator tube loom and goes to the control head. From there it is switched to either green/red or green/white for the indicators.

On a LHD car the green/red wire on the RHS can just be insulated, it is used only on RHD cars to take the left hand indicator power from the stator tube loom over to the left hand side. I guess you could also unplug that green/red from the double connector on the LH side and achieve the same result but having exposed bullet connectors would freak people out.

Stan

• 2 months later...