Steering wheel adjustment

Hi,

I have been told that it is possible to adjust the position of the steering wheel on my 1974 TR6 but I am not entirely sure how to do this.

Any advice please?

I want to move the steering wheel further forward. I have had a look behind the dash and I think I have seen 2 brackets there and an allen key under the bonnet where there seems to be a flat section on the steering column.

One of the bolts on the front bracket (nearest the dasdhboard) seems to have some kind of domed cover on it - I can get to the bolt the other side if this will do.

Do I just loosen all these bolts and push the whole thing forward to where I want it?

Cheers

Rob

Simply yes.The flat section under the bonnet allows the inner column to move in and out so undo that, then under the bracket at the metal dash back and the one inside the car to the bulkhead. You may have to remove the brackets in the car to slide the outer column housing,yep its a fag. Once undone or removed you should be able to push the outer column in and the inner will slide with it. I'd give it an afternoon if you haven't done it before.

Check the parts diagram to see how the telescopic column fits together. Note that the allen bolt and it's locknut will allow the column to collapse in the event of an accident, and therefore needs to be tightened to the correct torque. The outer column is very soft ally, if you do end up removing a clamp, make sure it goes back together exactly the same way with any packing pieces incorporated.

Don't set the wheel too close to the outer column or it will contact on hard turns (about 3mm will do). Check the horn works. Check the indicator cancelling clip is positioned centrally while you are about it.

Jerry

I thought this looked quite complicated/awkward when I first looked at it but it seems there is even more involved than I first thought.

I don't have much room in my garage so it will have to be done outside so I will wait until I have time to do it properly and the weather is up to it - until then I will just not have to do too many long drives!

Jerry, I am a relatively new Register Member and I have only just started to look at and use the Forum - I guess there must be somewhere I can change my profile to show I am a Register member, can you point me in the right direction to do this please.

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob, Welcome to the Register & the Forum.

If you go to the top right of the window and click on the arrow next to your userid you'll get a drop down to manage your preferences, location, pictures, etc. I assume the club updates the Membership icon as I don't see anywhere to do it, either that or it's the software pixies.

The job is not complicated, but you do need to get your head in the footwell to see the upper column securing bolts and an exploded diagram will make life easier for you to visualise the adjustment. Slacken everything off and it should really only take 15 mins.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I had a look at editing my profile but couldn't see anywhere to put TR Register Member - not the end of the world I guess.

I will have a go at adjusting the steering wheel but I will need to do it outside to give enough access. It can wait, other jobs that can be done first.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Ref updating member status - it may well happen one dark misty night or you may have to send Wayne a PM.

See the post on the main page regarding AGM minutes - Wayne is the Press officer and has magical powers in this field.

Roger