Engine Cut-Out

I've read many posts on this so have a relatively good feel for general consensus in the past on this topic. But just wanted to squeeze out any other comments if anyone should have one. I have a 1970 CP 150PI. Driving back from a busy morning meet at White Lion Antiques in Hartley Wintney, we managed to get caught up in the traffic jam from hell - M3 travelling towards the M25. Yesterday was warm and sunny (25C) and traffic was very slow moving. The TR6 normally has no problems with this, extra fan gets going and all is good. About 30mins in, engine cuts out, rev counter instantly to zero. All stop. Turn the ignition, engine back to life instantly. A minute or so later, the same thing again. Engine starts again straight away...this is repeated about a dozen times. Eventually, engine stops again and we roll on to the hard shoulder. Checked all the LT/HT leads to, dizzy, coil & plugs. All looks fine. We pull away and get home after another 40mins of driving without incident. I can't repeat the symptom.

Am I right in thinking that if this was a fuel problem, you'd expect some sort of stuttering/spluttering rather than a clean stop as described above? Fuel tank was half full - no problem with fuel pump (as far as I can tell). Oil pressure, temp gauge, volts etc all normal and nothing's being played about with or changed recently. I'm convinced this is electrical - highest on the list of suspects must be the LT circuit followed by HT. But I'm always interested if anyone else has had this specific problem and whether there's anything else I should consider. As always - thanks in advance!

David

Could also be the fuel cutoff as this consists of a ball bearing balancing on some contact points, they get a bit of corrosion and 12 volts will not pass. Try manipulating the plunger and see what happens. I relayed mine to take the current power away as it was getting warm with my twin pump system and melted..

LT ignition for me.

So try the ignition switch as suggested, and other lt components.

Being as it restarts instantly perhaps the ign switch is favourite, but I'd expect the problem to recur randomly not just in a jam?

Steve