This is the dialect of the north-east of England. The region where ships were built along along the River Tyne.

Often they "tone it down", like John is doing in the video.

I started work with with two brothers from there. I could not follow a word when they spoke to each other.

It's not just an accent. They have their own dialect words.

This may help:

Edited by AlanT

Interesting morning!!! Having drilled, painted and fettled the breast plate I decided to measure its thickness today.

Shock, horror - it is not 16G (0,064" , 1.6mm) it is 18G (0,048", 1.2mm).

Have words with suppliers and they were mystified by the dimension but upon measuring thier stock they are all 0.048". They try to convince that all is well but I have vibes!!

I have speaks with my agony aunt and he suggested ti would probably be OK but...........

Moss are out of stock. Quick call to TRShop and they have one that is 0,.060" (1.5mm), Near enough.

This afternoon I'll repeat all that I did yesterday :angry::angry::angry:

Roger

Hooray, the witch is dead. Sorry wrong situation

The new correct breast plate was fettled & painted yesterday and today welded in place.

The mobile welder didn't want paying - in fact he didn't turn up. Emailed to say he didn't want the job. Who would turn down a couple of hundred quid for an hour so's work.

I tried some test pieces using argon gas and it looked good. I fitted a new nozzle and boy what difference a proper nozzle makes.

Welding upside down is fun, even the argon didn't like it. It was producing what looked like a plasma spray with little welding taking place.

In the end I went back to CO2 and it all worked fine. So the plate is well and truly stuck on and doesn't look bad at all.

So while waiting for the bondaprimer to dry on the new plate I removed the diff side drive shaft (offside). This came out with little fuss.

I set it up in the vice and gave it a couple of whacks and nothing appeared to be happening. So I shall and use the puller instead (I definitely didn't like Niall's pictures.

Back to varnishing the dash while I have a few spare minutes.

Roger

Roger, it always amazes me how hard it is to find people to do simple things that are well within their capabilities but they just cant be bothered. In the end I decided long ago that a better investment was to learn the skills and buy the tools and do it myself just as you have demonstrated.

For MIG welding steel we normally use C25 gas, 25% co2, 75% argon. Regardless of the gas used if you have the MIG settings wrong or the material isnt clean you will get all sorts of odd sizzling effects that are not welding.

Stan

OK, just to put this to bed. The new, correct, plate was welded on using CO2 and it went quite well.

When buying anything, even gash old chassis lumps, measure it up before doing any work - even the good suppliers go awry.

The chassis was then filled with waxoyl.

A thing that I noticed was that with the breast plate removed the outrigger sections for the trailing arms are not a flush fit with the fore/aft chassis rails.

This meant that the plate had gaps where moisture (actually buckets of water) could get in. The area that would resemble the arm pits of the 'T' shirt had a mighty gap.

The gaps were filled with a non drying sealant and the box sections waxed.

What next!!!!!

Roger

Where the "T" shirt crosses the trailing arms it is usually swaged to fit flush

Stuart.