Should I replace my original rad?

I have pretty much done everything else to my car, except replace the radiator. I don't know if it will unexpectedly become a problem, or if I jinx things by putting a new one in. I have never had any overheating issues. Have a fan, btw. This is the same rad since I bought the car in 1982. It get flushed occasionally. However, since I now have some funds and have rebuilt everything else (engine/carbs/trans/diff etc) I am wondering if this is the last piece to do. I remember all the crud in my engine when I rebuilt it, so the radiator has to have it's share too.

Should I try and re-core it? Buy a new one? Take it somewhere for a good flush? Leave it alone? suggestions welcome...

Ron

Interesting - I would have opted for simply a new replacement (non-aluminium), with the idea of a re-core being too close in price to a new one. I get my work done at Enginuity and will ask the boys, but interesting thread, thx

I just cleaned my original '68 rad in a old roller.

I placed it horizontal on a huge pan containing boling water so the rad got steamed... i then filled the rad with Tescos cheapest Cola & let it stew for 2 hours...I then drained the cola (now quite cloudy & thick) washed with water and then switched to vinegar....same 2 hours steaming....that came out only slightly cloudy, but the interior of the rad I could see was very bright metal. After some more rinsing I put it back in the car.... road tests in the last few weeks show its just a little cooler on the gauge...no boiling with AC on and electric fan running...ambient 34C, road temp too hot to measure...

still got the orig 60's rad in the TR, mechanical fan only...in midday queueing traffic here i sometimes see the temp gauge off-scale, but it never boils and recovers as soon as it gets a bit of airflow...havent tried the coke method on this one yet...