Door check strap replacement

Gents

Whilst I wait for Neil to send me some injectors, I plan to replace both door check straps.

The holes in the straps are worn and the door on the drivers side just catches the body when fully open and I am worried this will damage the paint on the door.

Questions

How much of a job is it to replace these check straps?

Are there any particular pit falls I should look out for?

Are there any tips that make the job easier?

Many thanks in advance as always

John

Easy enough to do. Remove the carpeted kick panel each side, remove check strap pin on the door and slide them inwards. Refitting is the reverse.You need the door only half way open so the strap isnt engaged on the "A" post clip.Make sure you have the "S" shape the same way as original when fitting.Also make sure the fitting on the door isnt split or excessively worn in the pin hole.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

One other point to watch. Occasionally Spitfire/GT6 check straps are supplied as suitable for TR's. They are not interchangeable and will allow the door to open a fraction too far. The Spit strap has a smooth curve, whereas the TR version is more like an 'S' shaped curve.

Nigel

May I join in here as I plan to do mine. I note however that the strap can't be withdrawn from the inside of the A post, its too long. So its been suggested that I need to drill out the rivets holding it in place, this doesn't look straightforward given its position with the door restricting access with a drill ....

Hi Robin,

the strap WILL come out from inside. Do not remove the clip unless you really have to - the outer rivet is a swine to refit.

If the clip needs replacing you may find that the new clips are toooooo wide and the attachment holes do not line up with the 'A' post.

I re-made my own using 1/8" split pins.

Roger

May I join in here as I plan to do mine. I note however that the strap can't be withdrawn from the inside of the A post, its too long. So its been suggested that I need to drill out the rivets holding it in place, this doesn't look straightforward given its position with the door restricting access with a drill ....

Someone`s been pulling your leg Robin. ;) They do come out to the inside.

Stuart.

Roger, ok how. Have tried quite a few times, is there a 'special' way, just seems too long. Even thought of cutting the old but Assume the new one won't slide in.

They just slide round and out with the shape of the "S" It can be a little bit of a fiddle especially when they have been well greased.

Stuart.

Drinks cabinet here I come....

Hi Robin,

have a whisky or two before hand and it will easily slip out.

Roger (Hic)

What are we talking about !!!!!! :huh:

Joking aside - its the first thing I need to do on my new baby next week when I get her home. Drivers door is catching front wing and creasing it :(

Edited by Rothley

I'll be having another go tomorrow so aol report back.

Thanks one and, I will have a go.

The problem is that I received the new injectors from Neil kess than 48hrs after sending him the old ones, so have been refitting these

I will report back on my sucess

All

Did the check straps today and to be fair, don't see what I was worried about, the whole job took less than an hour

The straps did indeed foul on the bodywork as I drew them backwards, but, by shuttling back and forth a couple of times, whilst pulling the back of the strap towards the interior of the car, out they came. In fact the 2nd one seemed to just fall out.

There is some damage to the locators on the NS door, but, an 8mm bolt took up the slack

Thanks one and all for the advice.

If you are planning to change the check straps, it is very definately, not a difficult or an expensive job

Cost; £11.95 for a complete kit of parts and an hours labour