Dont know.... I think its one off, not been reported on here.

This site might help you recognise something amiss:

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/clutch/ReliableClutch/ReliableClutch.htm

I suppose if the clutch pressure plate had partially lifted off the flywheel it might clout the fork, but only when the pedal is depressed ???

Peter

Well I had the box out, can see nothing wrong with the clutch.

I've stripped the o/drive, checked the uni-clutch all seems to be correct, Can't put it back together yet, have to get set of gaskets.

The gearbox is a little strange. When in gear input and output shafts lock up as they should ? (not able to turn the box by hand)

However, when in neutral it doesn't run really freely. If I try to turn the box using the output shaft ( as if I'm freewheeling) then the box is very stiff, bordering on the point it could lock up! This may be the fault, but I'm not sure what is wrong in there

Bob

What do you mean the shafts lock up as they should?

On mine you can easily turn the output shaft in any gear.

If you spin the output shaft in neutral, with an electric-motor, the input shaft will follow, because of oil drag.

But if you grip it by hand you can easily stop it.

Driven at 1000 rpm, from the ouput flange, you can go through the gears, up and down. The first gear syncro is not stong enough to engage smoothly at this speed.

If you take the selector off you should be able to slide the selector rings in and out of engagement with a bit of a push to overcome the detent-balls.

In top gear the input and output shafts lock straight together and the whole thing should be quite free.

I am guessing that you have one of the bearings not pushed fully into its housing and so you have no end float.

But you did right to take this out because it sounds wrong.

Edited by AlanT

Alan.

I put the top back on the box and using the gear stick selected each gear in turn and they turn as they should.

It's in the over run that there's a problem

Yes I think it is a matter of end float but I'll have to strip it to find out where. If I try to pull the input and output shafts apart ( in other words try to increase any end pressure) the output shaft does become slightly easier, so it really does sound like an end float problem.

I did re-new both end bushes and bearings.

Bob

Think I've found the problem !

The input shaft. The circlip that holds the input shaft in the bearing was loose, hadn't gone into the groove. This accounts for the end float. The trouble is the spacer between the circlip and the bearing is too thick, I've tried refitting it but it won't go in. Perhaps the inner race of the bearing is slightly thicker than original.

Won't be able to complete it today as funeral intervenes.

Bob

To Everyone who's tried to help,

I've sorted it as far as I can tell. The oil thrower that is against the front bearing on the constant pinion shaft was slightly buckled and would not allow the bearing to seat properly on the shaft. I fitted a spare thrower and it went in to place easily. Now it's just a matter of fitting the overdrive unit to the rear of the box and putting it back in the car.

You wouldn't believe that something so small and simple could cause such havoc. Well perhaps I could. This project has been full of problems of one sort or another, big and small. This has been the hardest to find.

Thank you all for all your input. Hopefully it is the cure !

Bob

Consider making a test-rig to run this outside the car.

Quite apart from checking your fix this allows tou to easily find and fix leaks.

I had four goes at the accumulator cover and this would have been a messy business without the rig.

I did not need to drain the oil. Just tipped it onto the bell housing.

A few bits of lumber and a Chinese motor from ebay will do it.

And you can set the OD operating lever just right.

During the many posts we have shared with you on this I began to feel that there was more than one fault required to account for all you described.

I think you have found the reason the gbox is stiff. I am not convinced you found why it locks up. So check everything you can.

Alan,

As the circlip (1) page 50 of Moss's catalogue had NOT gone into it's recess it allowed the shaft (7) to move laterally only by about 0.03". The spiral of the gear on (7) while power was on forced the shaft against the oil thrower and bearing (3). This meant that the gap between the ends of (7) and (11) was the correct distance. HOWEVER,

conversely when on overrun the spiral would be forced laterally in the other direction and (7) and (11) would be forced against each other, in effect seizing the gearbox. As soon as overrun forces were removed the shafts would separate, freeing the box. The circlip and spacer behind it eliminates this movement. Because the oil thrower was damaged the shaft (7) could not be far enough forward to allow the correct spacer to be fitted. Replacement of the thrower cured this.

I believe this has cured the problem as the the box is now free to move in all gears no matter which shaft is used to rotate the box, which it wasn't before. The difficulty in getting the gear out of 4th and reverse and into neutral would I think will be cured as no loads now exist when the shafts are separate and free to turn.

Clear as mud I expect.

Bob

Any the readers will hav eleaned a lot!

Al.

I think I've learned I was wise not to sell the spare rebuilt od gearbox I've been storing these past 25 years or so!

Peter

Glad you all got something out of this. I got a headache !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe tomorrow I'll put the box back in but I need help with that as I've not got 10' long arms. ( no good asking her in doors!) Getting it out on my own was difficult, back in double so.

I'll let you all know if it's the correct diagnosis when I try t o drive it.

Thanks to you all.

Bob

Good news. The oil thrower/ circlip was the problem. I drove it out and back in to the garage with no locking up. It'll be a lot easier when I put the seats back in !!

Thanks to everyone who helped with their ideas. Some times you have to go back to basics and start again,

Bob