• 5 weeks later...

OK - the results are in and attached.

Black line is the best result we could get previously with 45DCOE Webers (with 34mm chokes)

Yellow line is with 42DCOE fitted by me and jets guesstimated by Stuart (with 34mm chokes)

Red (top) line is the final result after muchos trials and changes on Pete Burgess rolling road

In all 3 cases it is the same engine & same rolling road - only the carbs were changed

Summary - improved power and torque across the full rev range

Huge improvement to power at idle and low revs (not fully shown on chart)

Longer power band a higher revs with less drop off and now willing to rev happily to 6,000 rpm

Indications are the mpg will also be significantly improved (based on a very flat air/fuel mixture profile at optimum levels)

Peter Burgess did not expect to achieve these results from a relatively standard 4 pot TR engine

Some of the changes to jetting and ignition timing were counter intuitive

His conclusion is that these Webers are perfectly matched to the engine's characteristics in a way that cannot be pre-determined

Basically, very efficient fuel delivery and atomisation across the full range

Happy customer. Bloody good value rolling road. Long live Webers

Please note I was not looking for the highest power - I wanted smooth instant response at all throttle openings

This car now flies and gives me exactly the fast road vehicle I was looking for

Edited by Paul Harvey

Good stab at the internals by Stuart, having seen what the 42s give over the 45s through the range I think Stuart will be tempted to stick with his 40s.

Mick Richards

Paul, if I'm reading your data correctly, the best results are about +5% horsepower and +4% torque over your lowest (which I'm assuming is baseline). Probably mathematically significant, but how would you judge the payoff for the cost and effort involved? Seems like a lotta work for the gain looking at the numbers. Perhaps driving the car is a different experience?

Paul,

Good result, maybe there is a case for the NSF to get some 42s remanufactured? :)

I need to dust down my 40s and get them refitted. B)

Cheers

Graeme

The gain is very noticeable on the road - low down power and pick-up is instantly stronger

Top-end 'urge' is noticeably better

Strangely, cabin resonance around the dreaded 3,000 rpm mark is also very much reduced

The curve print out only shows the basic summary facts

The rolling road allows you to look at many other variables in real time, all of which have been improved

There seems no downside from the swap - not even absolute top end power where I would have expected to lose a bit from the smaller carbs

Whether the change is financially justified is another matter - I suspect fuel economy will be improved, but I never check that so I won't be able to tell you

The engine just seems 'happier' and so am I

Which is what it is all about :D :D

PS. I suspect 40DCOE carbs would give similar results and I think those with 34mm chokes are probably the right choice for all but race and track TRs (and certainly for engines with smaller than 89mm pistons)

It would be very interesting to bolt Ade's 40's onto my engine and see what the results were as a direct comparison on the same engine & same rolling road

That might be cheaper than producing a batch of new 42's

That's a plan...Ade...err.

Mick Richards

I'd be interested too, but it probably wouldn't stop me grabbing the next set of 42DCOEs that pass my way...

I think the rolling road charges would be rather prohibitive too!

Anyone used RE Performance in Bury (M/Cr) for weber setup? They did my SUs a few years back and were pretty good.

Cheers

Ade