Esso vs Shell premium petrol

I'm normally a fan of Shell for premium petrol, use it in the TR6 and the 'big scary' motorbike.

On the New Forest run we ran very low on fuel, not a problem but filled up with Esso 97 grade petrol.

Since then, and it may be coincidence, the car take a lot more cranking before it fires up.

Once running it's perfect as usual :-)

Previously I've noticed if the car is very hot when parked up, then next time it requires a bit of cranking before firing.

But the last couple of starts from cold have required far more cranking than usual, especially given the warming weather.

I checked the MU enrichment lever and it's moving correctly.

I have not 'messed about' with anything fuel or ignition related recently.

So is it the Esso Fuel??

Steve

Steve,

I have been running on Esso Super as my first choice,for over 6 years now. I do use Valvemaster just to up the ron rating and I do not have an issue.

On the plus side if the Esso Super has come from an Esso terminal, it is also Ethanol free ;):D

Thanks Clarkey

No time to play with the car this week, but will check ign and fuel systems over the weekend.

Steve

Hello Steve,

I have been using Tesco Momentum lately simply because it has a RON rating of 99 and my TR4 seems to perform well on it. However, I have read on another forum, sadly cannot remember which, that 99 RON is reached by the addition of ethanol.

This same forum also explained that Momentum is cheaper than Shell V Power and Esso Super because it lacks the engine cleaning, combustion inproving and other similar additives.

So its back to Shell V Power for me my TR4.

John

Hello Steve,

I have been using Tesco Momentum lately simply because it has a RON rating of 99 and my TR4 seems to perform well on it. However, I have read on another forum, sadly cannot remember which, that 99 RON is reached by the addition of ethanol.

This same forum also explained that Momentum is cheaper than Shell V Power and Esso Super because it lacks the engine cleaning, combustion inproving and other similar additives.

So its back to Shell V Power for me my TR4.

John

John,

All fuels have to meet British Standards - but these are 'secret', hidden behind paywalls. So it will have at least the regulation additives mix that should be fine in aTR4 lacking all petrol injection kit, cat converters etc.

I'd be surprised if Momentum had more than 5% ethanol. If it did, had say 10%, I think it has to be displayed on the pump as E10 according to EU rules.

A cheap way for companies to get to 99RON with E5 is to add butane - but that bubbles off with storage. The BS standard will tell us how much is allowed - but unless we pay up we cant know. That might explain your preference for Shell.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Shell has got 5 % ethnol init

BP, ESSO, TOTAL, top fuels aint,

UNLESS, ye live in the North east, Scotland, and the South,!!

got this frae the customer services aboot a month ago

Ive found that Shell, and Tesco 99, I use moer fuel,, not much though

But would use even moer if running closed loop all the time

as the ECU is adding fuel to compensate for the ethanol.

M

Shell has got 5 % ethnol init

BP, ESSO, TOTAL, top fuels aint,

UNLESS, ye live in the North east, Scotland, and the South,!!

got this frae the customer services aboot a month ago

Ive found that Shell, and Tesco 99, I use moer fuel,, not much though

But would use even moer if running closed loop all the time

as the ECU is adding fuel to compensate for the ethanol.

M

M,

I stand corrected.

There is a small wriggle room in the RTFO obligation:

"The UK currently incentivises the supply of renewable energy through the Renewable Transport Fuel Obligation (RTFO) which sets target for increasing the amount of biofuel usage in transport. Currently the RTFO mandate is set at 4.75% per volume of total fuel supplied."

So if most fuel is E5 then that 0.25% allows the super fuels to be ethanol-free. But only if they make up no more than 5% of the total UK-wide volume sold.

Peter