Pressure Gauge for testing the pump & PRV

Hi,

I'm looking at testing the fuel pressure coming into the MU on my PI and would like to buy or make a gauge to fit as per the brown book.

If anyone has one they no longer require I would be glad to buy it from them or alternatively point me in the right direction to buy the appropriate fittings.

Thanks

Jim

I've bought the bits from Hydro Technic , gauge, connection to MU , take off so you can plug in gauge as required. I have the spec somewhere, let me know if you want it and ill send detail tomorrow, need to find it.

I've bought the bits from Hydro Technic , gauge, connection to MU , take off so you can plug in gauge as required. I have the spec somewhere, let me know if you want it and ill send detail tomorrow, need to find it.

Yes please, that would be very useful.

Thanks

No probs, will try and do it in the morning.

Like Robin, I also got my test gauge from HydroTechnik. The bits I ordered were these (using their order code numbers):

SNA02 3/8 BSP male/swivel female test tee piece

9801-160 63mm pressure gauge glycerine filled 0-160psi

9800-00-00.01 Protective rubber cover for gauge

S100-AC-FA-01.00 Microbore hose assembly 1620 female to 1/4bsp gauge female hose ends 1000mm long

Overall, the bits cost just over £82 including carriage.

As you can see, their code numbers are a bit convoluted, and it is worth downloading their catalogue.

Make sure you get a glycerine filled gauge, which will smooth the needle movement.

I'm leaving the test tee in place under the MU, as it is then highly convenient for ad-hoc testing.

John

I got a long hose between MU and gauge so I could get gauge into cockpit...to see pressure under load, very useful.

Hi Jim

I got all my parts from www.hyphose.co.uk/ in Poole, I could get the part numbers for you if you want. The longer hose as Robin mentions is a good idea, I think I will get one too.

Hi Jim

I got all my parts from www.hyphose.co.uk/ in Poole, I could get the part numbers for you if you want. The longer hose as Robin mentions is a good idea, I think I will get one too.

Yes please, then I can decide which way to go.....I like the idea of a longer hose, makes good sense, thanks.

By the way is your 6 back behaving herself now...

Jim

Edited by jojim65

OK Jim, I will sort the part numbers for you. As for my car still can't start her so I am going back to the beginning and recheck everything. Fuel pump is leaking now so I am having it refurbished by Neil and the PRV too.

Hi Jim

The parts that I bought were as follows: -

1-Z10-68-00-600 G3/8" BSPP TEST COUPLER WITH TEST POINT

1-970-02-04-010 200MM G1/4" MICROBORE HOSE TEST POINT (You can choose the length you want)

10 BAR GLYCERINE PRESSURE GAUGE 1/4" BSPP BOTTOM ENTRY (I have got 20 BAR as that’s all they had in stock at that time)

Looks like HydroTechnik are a bit cheaper but Hyphose are more local.

I have a complete Lucas fuel pressure test kit I bought a while ago so I fitted a T piece with a blanking cap between the mu and fuel pipe this allows me to test the fuel pressure easily.

Everything is in situ so all you have to do is unscrew the blanking plug and fit the gauge to complete the test.

If any members are in my area and would like to borrow the Lucas kit to do a test they are welcome.

Regards John.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks all for your help on the fuel pressure gauge.

I bought the component parts from Hydrotechnik in the end for around £67 delivered and opted for the 1500mm pipe which will just reach around the windscreen and hang inside the cockpit this will give me an idea of pressure whilst the car is being driven...

As you can see pressure is around 104psi which I assume is normal.

Did get me thinking though, I wonder if it's possible to do the same for the injectors and put a 'T' piece between the injector and injector pipe?

Thanks

Jim

post-11685-0-11587200-1400528867_thumb.jpg

Did get me thinking though, I wonder if it's possible to do the same for the injectors and put a 'T' piece between the injector and injector pipe?

Not sure that would tell you much due the pressure pulses in the injector pipe...the gauge would probably go berserk when the engine is idling and give some average, rpm dependent, reading at higher revs.

Edited by tim_trinda

Tim, I have the same setup , permanently plumbed in and it works fine, ignition on but no engine running, engine running, and driving, yep its a bit of a pig watching the gauge when youre gunning it but otherwise fine. I was able to see my pressure dropping from the magic 105 psi dont to 80 and fluctuating between 80 and 110 when driving. This pointed me to what turned out to be the PRV sticking when under load. Well worth the investment.

Hmmm, think I need to buy or borrow a fuel pressure tester, just to wee what's happening !

Robin, I've had the Hydrotechnik on my car for about 8 years now, as you say works a treat ... pressure can be checked easily and quickly. It was connecting a pressure gauge at the injector I was questioning...not sure there would be much gain over the 'checking for a pulse' method.

Cheers

Tim

Tim, you'll be impressed with this I'm sure, when setting mine up I wanted to be sure the injectors well all popping regularily and in the correct sequence. Hence the use of 'The Patented Triumph 6 POT INJECTOR Verification Assembly' , pictured below

Hurricane007.jpg

I piece of cardboard behind these and away you co, you can see the sprays and they leave their 'wet' patch on the cardboard......nice piece of 2 by 1 I found on the garage floor....

Edited by RobinTR6

Nice use of a bit of 2*1 Robin !

Large Fire Extinguisher just out of sight I'm sure :-)

steve