Currently we have a pal's 3A in the garage for assorted tasks . . . . rebuilt gearbox in with a new clutch and hydraulics, new fuel tank, etc etc.

When we came to try starting it, fuel pump issues, usual consequence of having sat dry for a few months, old age and failure. Nothing new there then.

I've seen some of the repro pumps in recent years, cheap enough at £40 but quality seems a tad variable - ignoring the lack of priming lever, some seem otherwise reasonable enough, others a disaster zone . . . . operating arm flopping about all over the place, for example. Not reassuring.

Rebuild kit for the old pump is less than £20, but the last one I saw didn't quite match up to the original in component calibre, not in my view anyway, more of a down to a price than up to a standard principle. I've rebuilt pumps in the dim and distant past, a fiddly job and time consuming.

Hence we followed Stuart's recommendation and had a telephone word with Dave Davies in Lancashire. Posted up the old pump last Wednesday - he suggested sending a cheque once I had it back and was happy . . . . I enclosed folding with the pump instead, seemed like more of an incentive to me.

Yesterday I had a call to say it was in the post, and this morning it arrived back here. It looks like it's just come out the factory, brand sponners. It feels like it too. Crackerjack job.

Come the weekend we'll install the blighter and see how it performs, but I don't have any qualms on that score. Not from the look and feel.

£50 including the return postage. That's for a proper rebuild using original component as opposed to repro crapiti. Ridiculously cheap, and I'll be suggesting he ought to make a bit more out of it. A skilled man is worth his weight.

Usual disclaimers, I don't know the man from Adam, but I can recognise a good job and good value when I see it.

Cheers

Alec

+1 for the quality of Dave's work. Incidentally immediately post restoration I used a cheap repro pump. It was fine, didn't suffer from the fulcrum pin falling out problem (peened over), and it had the priming lever. Now in the boot as a spare but I don't expect to have to use it

Alec

Do you have a contact number for Dave Davies as i may need his help in the future

I have fitted a repro fuel pump recently and I think the pressure is too high as the float chambers keep flooding in spite of new jets, floats etc.,

Do you know how to test the pressure of the fuel pump? is it as simple as connecting a gauge to the outlet of the pump and turning the engine over to record the pressure?

Many thanks for your help

Nick

See http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/26251-bearing-in-mind/?hl=%2B%2Bfuel+%2B%2Bpump and other links for possible float setting adjustments.

Adjusting the floats to close the needle valves slightly earlier than the recommended setting eventually solved my flooding/overflow problem.

Edited by BrianC

Hi Nick,

checking pressure, you need an inline gauge between pump and carb to check with the engine running. Plenty on ebay, just needs a relevant adaptor, also plenty on ebay !

Dave's dog'n'bone in longhand to avoid web crawlers etc, exchange zero one nine four two followed by number eight nine one four four seven.

Cheers

Alec