Pinking & Lumpy Part 2

I have just checked the other injectors & all have a good cone apart from no 6 which I asume still needs bleeding. If I pull the nib of the injector fuel comes out. Should still fire on 5 cyls though surely. Checked fuel pressure and and its just 100psi. Hope to take fuel pump & prv off tomorrow evening & send off to Neil.

I could not do anything Sunday as I broke my toe to add to my woes.

??????????????????

Correct spark..........butterflies OK...........injectors spraying. It must start.

What are the injectors spraying? has someone put water the tank !

We dont have compression tests, but if the valves are opening....It cant be the cam/crank timing as it ran before.

Good luck with the MU and pump.

Peter

Cheers Peter,

While the pump is away I will do a compression test, at least that may give us a bit more to go on.

So frustrating l just can't fathom it. Drained the tank too tonight in prep for pump removal and it looks clean and its fresh v power.

• 2 weeks later...

While my fuel pump & prv are away for rebuild I thought I would tinker in the garage tonight and assuming my new Gunson compression gauge is correct, I think I may have major problems. Readings are as follows. Cold with WOT & dry.

1 = 58 psi

2 = 58

3 = 76

4 = 72

5 = 65

6 = 30

These readings seem extremely low to me, they can't be right can they?

I had I look through the plug holes at the valves and pistons with my boroscope all seems ok apart from no6 valves being oilyish.

Does this mean an engine rebuild or head rebuild, what shall i do next. Help !!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Kevo_6

Kevo,

Yes very low indeed - if the units on the gauge are psi .

You did give the engine a good spin, all plugs out, wot.

150-ish psi would be a decent value.

Try spoonful of oil in the bores - if the readings go up suspect rings or bores.

But you dont mention the engine burning oil so I very much doubt rings/bore are the cause of the low readings.

Camshaft??? - timing or lobes worn or 'bad'. Not enough air in means not enough to compress!!

- measure valve lifts at expected cam peak position.

Now you have something solid to work on - look on the bright side!!

Peter

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Thanks Peter, I will try with oil next & report back.

How do I measure valve lift with a dial gauge?

Edited by Kevo_6

Dial gauge ( = DTI - dial test indicator) held by magnetic clamp to head, or on a stud, button on the valve:

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/power/cm201a.htm

Your cam lobes must be prettty shot to give such low compressions- you might be able to measure lack of lfit with a ruler!!

Dont have the spec on the TR6 cam to hand - someone will be along who has.

If the cam is duff, the engine swallows less air so the inlet depression will be less - ie the manifold runs nearer atmospheric pressure. And that sets the MU to give a rich mixture, maybe too rich to fire. Thats not an MU fault I hasten the add !!

What I dont understand, looking back at your original posts, is why it went off so suddenly. That doesnt smell like cam.

But the compression readings are a really good lead. Summat's up there.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Thanks Peter, very helpful. The sudden change is the thing that really puzzle's me too. When I looked at the valves with my boroscope they seem to be opening quite a bit as I could easily see the seats OK but it's difficult to determine distance's with the scope. The no6 is a bit of a worry being the lowest, could this be leaking valve stems. The thing should still fire though surely?

Edited by Kevo_6

Thanks Neil, if I pull the head will I also have an indication that the block etc. Also needs a refresh i.e. bores scored, rings gone etc. As if so it would pay me to have the lot done in one hit as opposed to getting the head sorted & then finding out the rest of it is bu$$ered. If you know what I mean? Or am I jumping ahead of myself?

Guest ntc

Kevo

If you can do it ? the block maybe ok ? if you have good oil pressure the rest can be done with the engine in situ,the head of will tell you all.

Edited by ntc

OK Neil, off with her head. Oil pressure when really hot drops to about 30psi about 60 when cold so not brilliant but OK ish I think. Car has done 78000 gen miles. Fingers crossed its just the head that needs sorting.

Its been a long time since I've driven it now Neil but say if I was doing 60 mph in top it would be about 35 ish psi and tick over about 20 really hot, tick over cold 60psi. Never heard any noticeable rattles though.

Edited by Kevo_6

Car has done 78000 gen miles.

That's interesting.

Between 38k and about 100k I had three OE pistons fail, by cracking across the top side to side ( right angles to crank) and a second crack out to the oil drain slot from the centre. Each time the sign was subtle, a slight misfire and almost invisible smoke from the exhaust. Never found why - a metallurgist ruled out detonation or preigntion. Really sharp clean fractures right through the crown.

So worth having a really close look at the piston crowns for hairline cracks.

Peter

I finally fitted six new pistons, shells and thrusts - ran fine to 180k when rebore needed.

Edited by Peter Cobbold