Overdrive in 2nd with J type

Just been out for a spin as the weathers so nice. I backed off the drive and must have had the OD switched on. Pulled away in 1st, changed to 2nd and the OD kicked in. Not had the car in use that long but as its a 73 CR I assumed the J type OD would be fitted. I got home and crawled underneath and yes it looks like a J type to me. No big brass nut but a flat oblong plate. I'm sure its a J type. It all seemed to be working OK

Any ideas please ?

thanks Paul

I think the obvious comment is "do not reverse with the overdrive engaged !"

by all accounts this is very bad for the OD.

Inhibitor switches should prevent the od actually being engaged in reverse, but they should also prevent it being engaged in second, so something is wrong.

Steve

Hi Paul,

I'm no expert....they will be along shortly

But the J type can be adapted so the overdrive works in 2nd, maybe yours has?

Regards,

Matt

I suspect that a PO has wired the inhibit switches to A type spec, like I have done on my J type. Try a little experiment in the garage. Ignition on, in 4th gear then operate and release the o/d switch and listen for the solenoid clicking. Repeat for 3rd. Then repeat for 2nd and if you hear a click then it's wired as per A type. Repeat for 1st and reverse. If you hear a click in these last two cases then something's wrong with the inhibitors. Don't reverse until you've found the problem.

or if you over use this facility you could break the diff posts/mounts which aren't that strong anyway!

Alan