Overdrive right angled drive

Thanks

Roger I have been out to the shed and had a look at my fibreglass cover and it does have a bulge there. In fact there isnt a horizontal lip to seal so I will have to look carefully at that.

This reminds me......... I was considering cutting my tranny cover in half just in front of the H bracket to allow easy access to overdrive solenoid etc. I'm sure I've seen picture of this somewhere. Have any of you guys done this?

Ive got the angled drive now so I might as well use it.

Fit the correct cable without an angle drive on a TR4.

The rubber boot that goes round the hand brake lever has a moulding to accept the cable route. The cable routes down through the hole in the floor the hand brake pokes through, along the chassis rail then up to the dash via the engine compartment. See Moss cat for correct cable - something about 7 foot long for overdrive cars jumps to mind.

Cheers

Peter W

I cut the tunnel on my TR4 across just behind the 'H' bracket (gear lever side!) and pop riveted a strip of aluminium, bent to shape, so half it's width was underneath the main section of the tunnel. I drilled four holes through the smaller rear section and the exposed part of the ally strip, and set some threaded Rivnut inserts into the ally strip. It's similar to the commercial version in principal. Cost = 4 Rivnuts.

Unscrew the four screws, and the two original rear screws in the floorpan, and the rear section lifts off giving access to everything including an overdrive if fitted, the front propshaft UJ, and in my case the sensor for the rally tripmeter which reads the prop flange bolts. Plus much better access to the gear lever assembly. As it's a rally car I have much less room between the FIA-approved composite front seats but it's still a very quick job to remove and replace.

I no longer use an overdrive but have never had a right-angle drive on the speedo cable, it's connected direct to the box in as gentle a curve as possible. To date in six years of hard rallying I'm still on the same cable! I had heard that some remanufactured angle drives had reliability problems?

I had intended to make a foam seal for the joint but despite my car encountering far more mud and water than the average TR there is no more than the occasional slight seep into the car. It has also allowed me to seal the main front part of the tunnel thoroughly to floor and bulkhead with silicone mastic so it just doesn't leak water (or cold winter draughts!) into the car any more. Even on a rally car I take the 'box out only rarely and it's not too bad a job to cut out the mastic if need be, I get all the access I need for regular maintenance via the rear section. Makes you wonder why Triumph didn't do it in the first place!

Nigel