Oil leak on speedo

While the dash is out - replacing the heater for a Clayton unit, I noticed that oil was dripping from the speedo where the drive cable screws on. Is there a seal gone possibly on the right angle fitting on the gearbox?

Regards,

Vince.

Vince

There is a 7/16 copper washer listed Part No 538532 on Rimmers website for the angle drive.

The inner cable needs removing from the cable for cleaning.If left ....the excess oil ( from a previous owners over generous oiling of the cable ) will gum

up the speedo and you will have a replacement speedo / or instrument overhaul on your hands.

Light oiling is OK.... but not the whole length of the inner cable, I believe there previous posts on the Forum on this subject , from memory.

Bob

I think the copper washer is there to prevent excessive end loading of the angle drive works, not as an oil seal. Most likely, as Bob says, the speedo cable has been over lubricated.. Pop it off the back of the speedo and yank it out to check and clean. I wouldn't use oil but a light greasing of the cable as you feed it back in won't do any harm if you leave the last 6 inches or so at the speedo end without any lube.

I just replaced my angle drive. After I had done it I noticed that the speedo needle was a bit bouncy so I lubed the cable with a graphite lubricant called Ambresil from Maplins. It is an oil free lubricant made for locks. Not driven since so not sure how well it has worked.

Bruce

Since writing this I have found out the Ambresil is a brand name not a product and they make a variety of different lubricants including a dry Moly spray (found on ebay) which would also do the job.

Edited by brucer

I just replaced my angle drive. After I had done it I noticed that the speedo needle was a bit bouncy so I lubed the cable with a graphite lubricant called Ambresil from Maplins. It is an oil free lubricant made for locks. Not driven since so not sure how well it has worked.

Bruce

Thats what you should use. Never use oil or grease as it will wind its way up the cable and into the speedo, same applies for rev counter cables as well.

Stuart.