Gear Knob Repair

Fill up the damaged thread with araldite, let it set for a day or two then retap 5/16 x 18 unc. (if it is to go on a TR4-6)

Or buy a new one? Moss do the spherical black ball with a correctly threaded metal insert so it never pulls off in your hand.

Part no: 22B19 (item 27)

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=2489#27

Cheers

Peter W

Get a pool billiard black ball (junior/family model are about the same size as the ori gearknob) for 5 £ and make a new thread directly in the mass. Unbreakable - bit cold during winter for sensitive skins though :rolleyes:

Edited by Geko

Hi Alan,

I drilled the threaded area to about 1/2 inch, found a UNC bolt same as the gear lever, waxed the bolt with a candle & then used one of these 'epoxy steel' compounds to cast the bolt into the knob. The wax stops it sticking, so once it's cured you can unscrew it, clean-up the glued area and then refit to the car. I dunno if a standard araldite is up to the job, the gear lever gets quite hot and (on my car at least) I am exerting quite a force on the knob (fnarr fnarr) to change gear.

Thanks peoples. I was going to use Milliput as per Peters post but then Alans Helicoil post awaken a dim memory. I had helicoiled a manifold stud hole on my Midget many years ago. Did I still have the Helicoil repair kit, could I find it, was it the correct size, would it work in plastic ...............

Well to a fanfare of trumpets......yes, yes, yes and YES!!!!!!

Solid as rock, no more embarrassing moments being caught with your knob in your hand :D

Alan.