Trunnions Die No's

Only one of my original trunnions is usable as the other's splines on either side of the shaft are too far worn, they are both marked Die 3 and are from a post 60000 car. I have since removed another trunnion from a pre 60000 chassis which is usable but it is marked Die 2. I assume that I can use these trunnions as they are all the same but cast from different Dies/batches. Would this also mean that early tr2's would have trunnions marked Die 1.

In essence the main point that I need clarification on is can I use a Die 2 and Die 3 trunnion in the same car.

Thanks

John

Hi John,

bit of a guess but as nobody has mentioned die numbers before and they can be bought individually then I'm sure mix and match would be OK.

If the brass section of your duff trunnion is OK then you can get just the steel shaft with the splines on - apprx £15 - you do need a pretty good press to get them in though.

Roger

All my reference books and parts lists show the same part number 101557 for all TR2s, Tr3s, TR3As and Bs and TR4 up to CT6344 with wire wheels and up to CT6390 with steel wheels. These all have zero camber.

One might assume that the Die No. refers to any particular die which happened to be used to cast any particular trunnion.

John, The part number embossed on the trunnions are from Alford & Alder based in Hemel Hempstead? who used to make suspension parts for S-T (and probably other Vehicle Makers) and deliever the suspensions as sub assemblies to S-T . The fact that the two trunnions have the same part number means that they are interchangeable. I think that the die number is an internal control method in case of quality problems and nothing for you to worry about.

Was already aware of the possible wear and tear problems with the vertical links and possible stress cracks on reading other forum postings. I am only using one of my original vertical links as the treads were badly worn on the second that would cause excess play, I sand blasted the two I intend to use back to the bare metal and there are no stress cracks so I believe they are ok to go again.

Roger I do not believe that either the trunnions or vertical links are handed.

Regards

John

The fact of the same part number doesn't necessarily mean a great deal . . . Standard Triumph were ever fond of evolving actual components without changing the part number. That applied from the 40s to the end of production.

I can recall from the days when nos trunnions were commonplace that there was indeed a correlation between die number and vertical link, and that a given nos vertical link might fit a nos trunnion of one die number perfectly, yet be a poor fit on an apparently identical nos item of another die number.

At the time, late 70s, we (SDG) gathered together quite a few nos trunnions and verticals, sufficient to satisfy ourselves that there was indeed some relationship at work.

Presumably this explains one aspect of the difficulties that manufacturers of repro component face - which nos component do you take as reference, or do you take an average, or what ?

Cheers

Alec

John

Re: "Handing"

I think you are right in that TR2/3 and early 4's (like mine) have two trunnions that are, nominally, the same - i.e. that they are NOT handed. This only came in later in the TR4 with the 3 degree castor.

Tim