Differential front oil seal leak

As part of my upcoming rear end upgrade I'd like to eliminate the oil leak from the front diff oil seal, ie the pinion seal.

My question is : can this be done with the diff in the car, ie by dropping the prop shaft and then removing the flange by undoing the castellated nut?. Or do I also need to remove the front diff mounting to get at the seal?

Ta muchly in advance.

Steve

Perhaps it depends if the diff has a crushable preload spacer (replace the nut exactly as it was) or a solid spacer (off with the cover and measure drag).

If that sounds like I know what I'm talking about, I don't but I'm sure I read it somewhere.

Thanks for the replies, and Happy New Year !

I did some research and found the castleated / nyloc issue.

My dif has been rebuilt with a quaiffe LSD, so suspect it may be the nyloc.

I'm planning to do the driveshafts/hubs/diff mounts and seal all together.

Regards

Steve

I've not changed the oil Neil, I understand it needs some sort of 'special' oil.

Could you advise as to what I need ?

Steve

Regarding the question posed in the original posting-"Can the pinion seal be changed with the diff in the car?" I don't think so, but someone will probably prove me wrong. There is not much space around the front of the diff to R&R the seal and the front mount bracket would need to be removed. Besides, with all of the flanges unbolted, most of the work is done to remove the diff.

As far as which spacer is fitted, if there is a hole in the pinion shank for a cotter pin, that should be evidence of a solid spacer. Of course that wouldn't be revealed until the nut is removed.

Berry

Having changed my pinion seal a couple of years ago, it was easier to do it off the car. For one thing, to undo the pinion nut took the appropriate socket and a long pole to overcome the 100lb/ft it was done up to and you really need a helper.

Would it be a good idea to put the diff mounting pins under that kind of pressure? With the nut off the old seal came out with a bit of digging, new seal in, new nut and for the first time in years have an oil-free diff casing, rear silencer, chassis rails, rear bumper.........you get the drift!

Mike