Hi Guys,

"Vixen" Engine number 10708 E, has just completed a 2 year body off and engine etc. rebuild and goes beautifully, however,have a problem with the starter motor currently on the second starter drive and the rubber drive has again stripped from the outer sleeve. Do not want to go to a hi-torque starter if at all possible due to originality and scrutineer's will spot as not in period for period events.

Any help/ideas of where I can source a robust starter motor or starter drive other than the current supplier who appears to have a bad batch gratefully received.

Tony

Tony,

I've had this same problem with my starter motor. on several occasions after using the repro rubber bush available from the usuals - which delaminates very quickly from its steel sleeve..

A few years ago I obtained an NOS bush from Revingtons. Not cheap but its done the job for the last four years or so with no sign of any problems. Don't know if they still hold stock but its worth a try.

JEFF

Tony,

When I restored my TR3A in Kenya I couldn't get a new TR one but found that an early style Landover uses the same starter (type 418?). You can either swap the Bendix gear over or grind a chunk off the LR one to give the same profile.

I used that one for years till I went Hi-torque. It was 20 years ago and memory fails so please do check the number.

Good luck,

Willie

I couldn't wait for the delivery of a new rubber pinion for the early bomb-shaped starter for my TR3A, so I MIG welded the two pieces together. It worked fine for a year and then I found time to put in a new rubber based one. I carry the fully welded one as a spare wherever I go.