Shear bolts on steering lock removal tips

Evening all,

I am removing my steering column but have hit a road block with the shear bolts. I have followed the steps in the brown book and all working fine, but the issue is that when I try to mark the bolts with a centre punch the column turns because all the fixings have been loosened and the impact of the hammer has no effect. Also I'm not sure what removing the bolts "with a chisel" means? - what are the trick techniques here?. Any tips from those who have gone before gratefully received.

Anyway off out for a curry now and try again tomorrow.

Many thanks,

Sean

Thanks Alan. Looks like the ignition switch has to come off to get the steering column out through the hole in the metal dash panel so I was trying to get at the shear bolts from underneath in the foot well having rotated the loose steering column as suggested in the brown book. Is it possible to remove the metal dash with the loose steering column still through the hole?

Many thanks,

Sean

Evening all,

I am removing my steering column but have hit a road block with the shear bolts. I have followed the steps in the brown book and all working fine, but the issue is that when I try to mark the bolts with a centre punch the column turns because all the fixings have been loosened and the impact of the hammer has no effect. Also I'm not sure what removing the bolts "with a chisel" means? - what are the trick techniques here?. Any tips from those who have gone before gratefully received.

Anyway off out for a curry now and try again tomorrow.

Many thanks,

Sean

If I get this right you are trying to undo the "shearing bolts", the name say just what they are, they are meant to break so the car will be more difficult to steal. After they have broken you will have to undo/turn them with the help of a chisel as there are no bolt heads any longer. If you are adventurous you can try to cut the bolt with a grinder but I wouldn't recommend it.

It is a lot of things to undo if you will try to take out the column with the steering lock/ignition switch still on, as I remember you will have to take out the whole dash and disconnect all electrical and then even the steel structure behind it.

Edited by ijonsson

All sorted today. Thank you all for your help and advice. FYI I turned the column so the bolts pointed down, then tightened the front bracket back on the column to keep it held steady and that allowed me to drill the bolts and extract them with an easy out.

Merry Christmas all.

Sean