3-bladed "low drag" TR2-4 fan blade -- huh?

The seller describes this item as

Triumph tr 4 3 2 , radiator cooling fan three ( 3 ) blade assemble ,lower drag

Good used triumph tr2 tr3 tr4 radiator cooling fan blade assemble . O.e.m. Part , three blade for less drag at higher speeds

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291015725334?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Clever description, eh? Doesn't look like any Triumph part I've ever seen, or a drilling pattern that will mount on any TR I've ever worked on...

i-FjrbrTT-L.jpg

Certainly looks like a pukka factory item.

It might have come from an early Roadster 1800 or an early Standard 8, both of which featured 3-blade fans, or an immediately postwar Standard saloon. Fitment of 3 or 4 blade fans seemed a bit hit and miss in the late 40s early 50s.

Cheers

Alec

How you you know the drilling pattern won't fit?

Alan, the 3-bladed fan crank bolt drilling pattern looks square, at least to my eyes. TR2-4 -- and 60s sedans, Spitfires, and GT6s AFAIK -- fans mount to the crank using a rectangular bolt hole pattern, as shown here on a 6-bladed "tropical" fan and on an original TR3A fan:

i-5zdjh2x-L.jpg

i-fDR2D49-L.jpg

The fan is obviously a factory item, but I'm not convinced which factory. It looks like it might have yellow paint under the black?

Edited by Don H.