getting back to Andys original question, ...'what's it worth...., I notice from comparing the Towergate agreed valuation listings, one from a few years ago and this years:

Condition D5 'excellent' (not concours) was £12,000, is now £27,500, (an E5 concours with awards etc. category now listed £30,000 )

Interestingly a concours E5 cat, LHD non UK TR6, is listed as £31,000........

john

Edited by johnny250

Stephen: very unselfish of you but Andy could gain a bedroom if he sells his 250...

not sure of the value of a bedroom these days or, indeed the benefit of having 2 less

people in the house. I separately loaned my 2 children the deposits on their houses

and they both paid me back, btw.

John: don't remember the 250 having your splendid indicator upgrade either...

But Andy's 250 must be worth in excess of £30k looking at the prices being asked

by some dealers for original LHD 250's, albeit that Andy's is now RHD. One of the

best restored cars I have seen.

Andy: any decision yet ?

Regards

Rob

I've had a few interesting days pondering the options, but I think Remembrance Sunday provided the clarity I needed. I had the honour of laying the wreath during our village service and, as I stood there, two thoughts crossed my mind.

1. Somebody must have shrunk my uniform. I don't ever remember it being this tight in the 28 years I have owned it.

2. Life is short. A very good friend of mine was shot down in Iraq a few years back and will never get the chance to help the three kids he left behind.

NIce as the 250 is, it's only a car and I can always build another. In fact, seeing VUX, I quite fancy the idea of spending a few years getting JHM 926K into a similar condition.

So, in short, if the right person comes along I will be only too glad to give my daughter a hand up onto the property ladder. Of course, this leaves me with the problem of what to do to get rid of the other three kids.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Andy

Just to add to the above on the exam question, what's it worth.

I've just been made aware today of a very very nice TR250 that's just sold for £41k. That's akin to TR5 money, so the days of the 9000 odd TR250's being the poor cousin of the 3000 TR5's are no longer with us. If your car is a good one then you must be in the £30k to £40k bracket surely ?

I also know if a very original white car which will come up for sale for between £20k and £25k, another (ie my Jasmine car) which subject to either no work or a lot of work will be either as the one above or this 2nd one in terms of price and a third which is a project, worth somewhere between £8 and 10k. I'm sure are others but as with TR5's there are only ever a handful on the market at any one time and usually a few aren't worth the ticket price for various reasons.

My own opinion is that The biggest mistake you could ever make is selling your car at a time you don't really want to, at a price which doesn't reflect either it's true value (which is what the other guy is prepared to pay to own it) or the value you place on it (which could be either lower or higher) and you later find it's much more money to buy it back if you ever wanted to and you rue the day you sold it forever.

No easy answer here, but if the opportunity cost is high, you get the full value for the car and after a year of ownership the new owner still wants to buy you a pint and talk to you about the car, then it may be time to sell and move on.

Regards

Tony

Good news for us TR250 owners, Tony :D !

For better or worse, the performance difference between 5s and 250s is fading due to today's mind-boggling HP ratings of current fare - take the 254 BHP Ford Focus, for example :o . That leaves what they have in common, including that fabulous Italian body ( esp. with the Surrey Top option ). Moreover, it's just possible the market has twigged that it's not a big deal to bring the 250 up to 5 spec notwithstanding the North American contingent's stubborn confusion on the issue until now, or recently anyway. One such will have the bonnet stripe to lord over the 5 as well -_- . Seriously, though, 8484 total production is still a very small number, easily qualifying as rare.

Let's see what the future holds for the U.S. spec TR6, which IMO is still a real bargain over here :unsure: .

• 2 weeks later...

SELL IT !!! You can always get another project even a 250 or 5.

My first refurb was a Jag XK150FHC that took me 2.5 years and after completing it I kept it in the garage with a removable stud wall around it to protect it whilst I started working on the current project a TR5. The Jag hardly ever got used, about 300 miles / year. No matter how well you look after these cars they will slowly deteriorate and all your work will have to be done again, soul destroying!

The fun (?) is in the refurb

Bob

post-11439-0-03653000-1386545259_thumb.jpg

SELL IT !!! You can always get another project even a 250 or 5.

My first refurb was a Jag XK150FHC that took me 2.5 years and after completing it I kept it in the garage with a removable stud wall around it to protect it whilst I started working on the current project a TR5. The Jag hardly ever got used, about 300 miles / year. No matter how well you look after these cars they will slowly deteriorate and all your work will have to be done again, soul destroying!

The fun (?) is in the refurb

Bob