Does anyone have any images of a 59 TR3a; I'm restoring mine and am struggling with what switches go where. I'm ok with everything in the centre sectionb but mine has had different holes drilled over the years mainly to the right hand side of the steering wheel (RH drive) which as I understand it should be for the heater and overdrive. Looking at various pictures in handbooks and magazine articles that I've accumulated these two switches seem to be set horizontally but currently the holes in mine are vertically positioned, which is correct?

My dash has also had two holed blanked out, either side of the centre section one between the ammeter and rev gauge and the other between the temp gauge and glove box. I believe the latter is intended for the windscreen washer but what is the other one intended for?

Many thanks

Graeme

Or this (see my signature) If you need a bigger pic of that, just send me a PM with your email address.

Menno

From left to right:

• pear-shaped OD switch
  • next to the right: heater switch/rheostat
  • under: the pump for the screen washer; was a dealer option, you find them on various places on different cars
  • above the rheostat: the override switch + control lamp for the elec. fan. THIS IS NOT ORIGINAL!

In the middle:

Gauges:

• Upper left: oil pressure
  • Under left: engine temp
  • Upper right: fuel
  • Under left: Am meter (mine has a non original Volt meter)

Switches in the middle, from top to bottom:

• wiper (pull switch)
  • panel (turn switch - like the rheostat)
  • side/head (turn switch) for the head/rear lights
  • left of the key: starter button (push)
  • right of th key: choke

Hope this helps!

Menno

Edited by Menno van Rij 2

Graeme, I read you have a RHD car which has a different layout to the LHD cars. This is taken from a true TR2, TR3, TR3A owner's handbook.

RHD small gauge layout.

Upper right - Oil pressure

Lower right - Temperature

Upper left - Fuel

Lower left - Ammeter

Speedo left - Rev counter right.

I second Tom's description of the heater knob and overdrive toggle switch holes being horizontal to the right of the rev counter. Windscreen washers were a dealer fitted option and the hand operated pump was typically located in the triangle between the lower right gauge and the speedo. However I've seen dealer fitted wiper pumps on a bracket beneath the dash.

Viv.

Many thanks for your replies Gents, my only thoughts are that I've been reliably informed that the overdrive switch for my 59 (TS 58872) should in fact be the push/pull type. Also with regards to the windscreen washer, should it not be located in the opposing triangle between the lower left hand gauge and the glove box? I've sourced one from a TR4a which TRGB supplied me with. This seems wrong to me, any ideas what is the correct type and where can I get it from?

Cheers

Graeme

... I've been reliably informed that the overdrive switch for my 59 (TS 58872) should in fact be the push/pull type. Also with regards to the windscreen washer, should it not be located in the opposing triangle between the lower left hand gauge and the glove box? I've sourced one from a TR4a which TRGB supplied me with. This seems wrong to me...

I would check the reliability of your sources. One of the funky lever type switches would be fitted to a car that late.

Regarding washer, there really aren't any rules there 'cause they were a dealer fitted option. My car originally had a hand-pump washer fitted to the hole at the far end of the dash for the overdrive switch. (As a non-OD car originally, that part of the panel was blank and there was a ready hole in the steel behind the vinyl. The panel "triangle" opposite the steering wheel is perfectly OK, but other places were used, too. As far as which pump/pump switch -- almost anything "period" would be OK.

The TRA Concours Guidelines -- only one source of information -- refer to windscreen washer "originality" as follows on page IN-18:

D. Windscreen Washer Control - Cars equipped with windscreen washers had a manually operated pump
usually mounted between the cubbybox door and the center panel. The knob was, of course, black with white
lettering, and the switch (pump) had a chrome bezel.
And to add to the pretty complete information presented above by others, here are some images. All LHD -- note the positions are mirrored as the driving side changes.
An unrestored original TR3B (TCFXXXL) showing the position of a pump-type windscreen washer (partially behind my finger over the lens).
i-THnJpxJ-L.jpg
An unrestored original TR3A (TS66XXXL) with no screen washer or overdrive.
i-zkSZjSg-L.jpg
An unrestored original TR3B (TCF14XXL) showing no overdrive and just barely, the pump-style screen washer between instrument cluster and cubby box.
i-zvWsQHg-L.jpg
i-sBwfR2Q-L.jpg
A restored TR3A (TS75XXXLO) showing the lever-type overdrive switch in normal position
i-9TF9PQC-L.jpg
Edited by Don H.

i-9TF9PQC-L.jpg

I have the same o/d switch / position. For some reason i always knock it down when getting in the car (esp with the hood up). A real issue as my first manoeuvre is always to reverse out of the garage. As a result i have some green/yellow earth tape on both the o/d switch and the gear knob to alert me to check when putting it into reverse. Not very stylish. Is there a favoured alternative position of the o/d toggle ?

ISTR development work late in sidescreen production (or maybe early TR4) around a gear lever selector switch, a variation of what the sedans had. There was even a Standard-Triumph part number given to it, if my memory's not wrong. Sort of a James Bond ejector seat switch configuration for the overdrive. There are others here who are sure to know more -- Viv, back to you!

I don't believe this early version was commercialized, and I don't know exactly what it looked like.. There will be folks who report the convenience of flicking the toggle without taking hands from the wheel are preferable to and possibly safer than a switch on the lever -- maybe, but a lever switch would be pretty cool...

Don, the O/D slider switch on top of the gear knob was a sedan fitment, but I've seen them in a wind up window TR. (The sedan gearstick is too long for a sidescreen car). It can indicate a sedan gearbox and overdrive has been fitted. TR4/5/6 overdrives were operated via an additional horizontal stalk on the steering column.

Toggle switches have been mandatory in all my sidescreen cars over the years. The essence of an early TR is to hammer down the freeway in top and flick into overdrive while passing a line of Sunday drivers. Can't do that in a Ferrari !

Viv