sports manifolds and exhaust

Which is best? (1964 TR4)I definately wish to change my exhaust system in the next week or so. I intend to not only change the exhaust, but fit a sports manifold as well all in stainless steel. I would like any assistance and experiences to help me decide which manufacture is best I have quotes for pheonix,falcon and triumph tune. My car is only used for fair weather but i do like speed and want to find a system that sounds sporty but not to loud.If anyone can reccomend suppliers that would be very useful cheers carl.

Carl,

I have used a Falcon twin pipe system which is not a very good fit. The manifold is not particularly well made and the tail pipes bottom out.

Last year I changed it for a Phoenix single pipe system. The manifold is very well made and being one piece, the fit is excellent.The exhaust note is absolutely superb if a little loud at times.

You have to decide how much you want to spend, I think you get what you pay for.

Graeme

I got a Phoenix single pipe now on my 6 and on my TR3A and they are both well done. Phoenix is also making more silent systems should you wish less noise, they use as far as I was informed a different kind of stainless steel wit less resonance in the pipes and silencer.

Jean

I had a complete phoenix system on my 6 and also on my TR3A now. I can only confirm that it is of outstanding quality, well made and easy to fit. The extractor manifold needs some adjustment at the ports and the flange thickness is different from the one of the inlet manifold. So you also have some work at the clamps.

Phoenix has 2 systems both single silencer in combo with an extractor manifold. One with German TUV approval being the  more silent system and one straight through system. Having tried both I can tell you that both are equally noisy in the mid range (resonance). But at idle and from 3500 RPM on the sound is perfect, (but as said for some that do not like the real sports sound it might be a bit noisy).

Cambridge has a beautiful system (also build by Phoenix) with longer primary branches and 2 silencers. This one is said to be less noisy (95dB) and better traction in the mid range. But I have no confirmation. In brief my opninion: a better quality and service than from Phoenix is probably hard to find.

If you want a less noisy system keep the standard manifold and buy a matching stainless steel standard type exhaust.

Thanks for the comments so far, please keep them coming, although i started out thinking pheonix , Any hints on where is the best place to buy the pheonix system from

cheers carl

Try

www.phoenixexhausts.co.uk . I bought mine direct from them at the International where they gave a big discount.

Carl, depends where you are living. On the continent you can find them eg at M&A Ries in Germany or at www.uitlaten.com in Holland. Or as Rod said you can buy direct at Phoenix UK.

My son has a Phoenix exhaust (but not manifold) on his 4a, and the quality is excellent, the exhaust note is sporty, and sounds great, not like some systems which sound like a bird chirping !!

One of Phoenix's main customers is Porsche, and they're not going to fit rubbish.

I can highly recommend Phoenix, Paul there is very helpful.

Guest GDalzell

I've had advice from a couple of sources. Both recommended the Phoenix manifolds. However, I've also been advised to insulate them. You can get strips of the material from Demon Tweeks. I can't understand the logic but the hotter gases improve the flow. It must also change the revs at which the negative exhaust pulses return from the junctions but that's getting technical. Two other benfits. If you have an alternator convcersion, it'll last 3 months without this insulation and its quieter.

Good luck

Regards, Graham

Having now fitted the system, only one gripe, which may have been particular to Carl's car, the flange was to narrow to accept the inlet manifold, needing slightly "indelicate" adustment with an angle grinder! Other than that, it was a joy, lining up pretty nice, no knocks or blows.

Just fitted the Moss TT manifold to the six, mated to the SS twin pipe (one either side) system and that went on with only minor modding of the joint between manifold and system, the clearances are perfect!

Back to the insualtion issue raised above, I can see no reason to insulate this system for matters of long life-if anything spacing is larger than with the oe manifold, but it is a good idea anyway, get some of that heat away from the carbs-did it with my six-worried about heat cooking the Webers! (Planning on getting the manifold glowing red!) a 10m*2 inch wide roll only just did it-I thought there would be miles to spare, secured with thin welding wire rather than ugly Jubilee clips, hope it lasts (too late now anyway, not taking it off again).

Sorry for rambling.

Rob.

• 7 months later...

I just tried fitting my 4 into 1 long manifold now that the engine is on the chassis looked great... then I tried fitting the  starter motor :-(

no go by about 3 inches.

The pheonix 4into one is ballenced lengths and comes down the center of the engine block. My engine is fitted with the longer bull nosed starter motor rather than just having the cog and bendix spring poking out. are they interchangable... ?

Got a Revingtons Race/Rally system in my 3a.

Huge bore, thick guage stainless, lovely deep note.

On the instructions it did say that it would not fit with the original bull nose starter motor and I can see why.

With that much pipework there is very little room.

I wrapped mine with the heat tape but used stainless steel zip ties used for cables in fire escapes. Work a treat, easy to fit and look very neat.

Unc