Wonky gauges

Lovely day just been out for a run and noticed, petrol gauge is going up and down and eventually settled in the 1/4 level although tank half full. The water temp is zero. Any ideas?

Thanks chaps for your advice, I have no means of testing voltage so I checked the wiring and the mounting screw, all that happened was that the gauges moved up a bit before settling back to zero. By the way, it took some finding in the footwell, It has been on the car for 51 years so I have ordered a new one. Lets hope that is the problem.

I stripped the dead one that was on my 4A, and it looked OK, had continuity on the heater, the contact were OK. Just din't work. Perhaps the earth connection from the heater, which is just trapped between the casing and the paxolin? If so, a blob of solder would have cured it.

I'm going to fit a 7810 regulator in the case and keep it for a spare, in case my NOS ebay purchase fails.

Thanks Roger, good point - shouldn't be a problem with the normal (as opposed to low dropout) 7810 but it won't hurt to put same capacitance in.

I should admit to being named on a previous employer's patent for a solid state voltage stabiliser supplied to a major manufacturer. That used 7808s though. And no, I didn't get royalties!

Pete