TR's Racing at Snetterton 28th September

The Aston Martin Owners Club race meeting is taking place at Snetterton this Saturday (28th Sept) but looking at the race line up and entry lists there are a lot of classic cars other than Astons taking part.

In particular there is a big entry of TR's in the Equipe GTS race with a total of 5 TR4's and 1 TR4A slated to take part. Just thought I'd mention it in case it is of interest to any folks in East Anglia at the weekend.

Hi Michael,

Alex beat me to it with the links to the regs !

I plan on being at Snett tomorrow and will do my best to get some decent pictures and a note of the results. As I'm also at Snetterton on Sunday (VSCC Vintage Sports Car Festival Races) and, hopefully, attending a track day there on Monday it will probably be the middle of next week before I get the pictures on the www and report back here.

Cheers

John

Great : get some photos in the pit if possible - close ups of the cockpits/dash and roll cages engines wheels - anything which differentiates the Cars from a standard road car so we can have a look

Thanks in advance (I know I don't want much!)

Michael

Hi John,

I was car 40 (Red TR4) in the Equipe GTS - if you have any pics, I would like to have copies if you don't mind?

We got a 4/4 finishes in our first season, so quite happy with the results.

The championship was decided between two TR4s driven by John Andon and Pete Foster. Andon taking the race win and championship by half a second.

The other two TR4s and 1 X TR4A had problems and were forced to retire during the race.

Cheers Nick

What a race.

well worth the drive to see.Faultless drives by both TRs and loverly prepared cars.

Also an italia ? a new one on me as an italia HEALEY, not as pretty as the TR one though,may be i am a little bias

ROY

Hi Nick - I did get some shots of car 40 and indeed of all the TR's in the Equipe race. If you care to PM me with your e-mail address I will send you a selection of images once I get them all sorted out.

The race (and I guess the championship) was a ding dong battle between John Andon and Pete Foster. I think these two pictures sum up the battle. Pete started on pole with John beside him but in the end John won the race from Pete with the margin of victory being just 0.442 seconds

10026715114_5d48608c8b_c.jpg
Triumph TR4s - Snetterton - 28Sept13 2068 by norfolkjohn, on Flickr

10026843613_f4da998959_c.jpg
Triumph TR4s - Snetterton - 28Sept13 2692 by norfolkjohn, on Flickr

Michael - unfortunately I didn't see your post about close up photos before heading off to Snetterton on Saturday so I stuck to my usual shots of the cars in action on the track - sorry about that but I'll keep your request in mind for the future !

I have still to sort through all the images I took but when I do I will post a small selection of all the TR's that took part - including those that, unfortunately, didn't manage to complete the race.

Hi Michael - I'll get some pics from Saturday posted in the next few days but just for interest in the interim here's a shot I took of the engine bay of Pete Foster's car a couple of years back.

6210991413_808bf4ce37_z.jpg
Triumph TR4 Engine (Car 77 Pete Foster) by norfolkjohn, on Flickr

Edited by Norfolkjohn

Interesting engine with header tank, notice the lines into the thermostat housing and oil catch tank/breather combined,

looks like a fuel pressure monitor line from the fuel pressure regulator and a box covering the tilton pedal box,

later TR6 type windscreen wiper motor, small jell battery and scalloped inner wing to allow space for the air filters on the carbs

dual accellerator cables

lightweight alternator with a bar spacer

All in all looks like a standard motor guv never mind what's in the engine

Good photo

PS does appear to have a copper radiator

Have I missed anything?

Regards

Michael

Michael - yep - you missed that Pete Foster is a very good driver and has raced for many years - previously a modified DB4 - I remember Pete "retiring" from racing when he sold the Aston some years ago - but he couldn't keep away!!!!

OK folks - I've now got the pictures sorted out so here goes with a couple of shots of each car in the order they finished the race. (lots more images here for those with insomnia :Dhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/norfolkjohn/ )

John Andon - TR4. Started frim second place on the grid and won the race by just 0.442 seconds from Pet Foster.

10074335653_2d509de7cb_z.jpg
Triumph TR4 - John Andon - Snetterton - 28Sept13 776 by norfolkjohn, on Flickr

10074332313_a6c8b6a387_z.jpg
Triumph TR4 - John Andon - Snetterton - 28Sept13 898 by norfolkjohn, on Flickr

Pete Foster - TR4. Started from Pole but was second at the end of lap one. Battled with John Andon for 13 laps and finished in a narrow second place.

10074300106_7ef264b981_z.jpg
Triumph TR4 - Pete Foster - Snetterton - 28Sept13 1048 by norfolkjohn, on Flickr

10074339495_bc881112ea_z.jpg
Triumph TR4 - Pete Foster - Snetterton - 28Sept13 840 by norfolkjohn, on Flickr

Nick Mountford - TR4. Started from row 10 in 20th position on the grid and finished the race 15th. Nick was the only other TR driver to complete the race and it is worth mentioning that this is his first year racing and he has completed all four races he has entered which is a very creditable achievement.

10074289464_cf38e57903_z.jpg
Triumph TR4 - Nick Mountford - Snetterton - 28Sept13 808 by norfolkjohn, on Flickr

10074422733_591a54285d_z.jpg
Triumph TR4 - Nick Mountford - Snetterton - 28Sept13 2090 by norfolkjohn, on Flickr

Due to the forum limits on pictures the remaining shots of the remaining 3 TR's will follow in the next post :rolleyes:

OK carrying on with the pictures in finishing (well actually retirement :() order.

Richard McKoen - TR4A. Started from row 3 in 6th position on the grid but unfortunately retired after 7 laps (He is due to be running again at Snetterton on Saturday 5th Oct in the Ecurie GTS race)

10074407093_8bb021cf4e_z.jpg
Triumph TR4A - Richard McKoen - Snetterton - 28Sept13 2352 by norfolkjohn, on Flickr

10074280275_9bb544ab7d_z.jpg
Triumph TR4A - Richard McKoen - Snetterton - 28Sept13 2426 by norfolkjohn, on Flickr

David Ferry - TR4. Started from row 10 in 19th position on the grid but unfortunately retired after 6 laps.

10074249084_7accd1a170_z.jpg
Triumph TR4 - David Ferry - Snetterton - 28Sept13 1096 by norfolkjohn, on Flickr

10074243194_34f24d4431_z.jpg
Triumph TR4 - David Ferry - Snetterton - 28Sept13 2517 by norfolkjohn, on Flickr

David Allen - TR4. Qualified in 7th position on the grid but did not start the race I think due to mechanical problems which was a shame.

10074397323_169833dbbf_z.jpg
Triumph TR4 - David Allen - Snetterton - 28Sept13 733 by norfolkjohn, on Flickr

10074255054_4364cb0f76_z.jpg
Triumph TR4 - David Allen - Snetterton - 28Sept13 797 by norfolkjohn, on Flickr