Modern Day Spa White Paint Code Reference

Hi Guys,

Tomorrow is paint buying day for the TR3A.

At the last visit to the Body Shop Supply store I asked about the possibility of finding Spa White in their database. I was armed with the paint codes that I could find off the internet for Spa White. I gave them the PPG code 8335 and ICI 3436 to see if they could do a cross reference but no dice.

So, before I go and buy something like "Oxford White" found on Fords, I thought I would ask here if anyone has a modern day code for Triumph Spa White.

If not Spa White, I would settle foe another triumph white like Sebring....

Cheers
Tush

BEWARE

My car (and wheels) are Spa White - done a few years ago

in 2-pack.

Recently, I had TR Enterprises paint another set of wheels

in Spa White. Water-based paint now, remember.

They came back in NEW WHITE - a much creamier white

On checking, it seems that there is now only one code for

the two colours, which is wrong because they ARE different

shades.

TR Enterprises (Tom) was checking this out, so I suggest

you have a word with them and see what the score is.

Problem seems to be that some of the older shades of the

smaller car manufacturers seem to be discontinued.

The alternative, to get the nearest match, may be to use a

colour from another manufacturer.

Long time ago, I found that Mercedes Benz Classicweis was

the closest match I could get to Spa White.

It may be that Classicweis has also been discontinued but

being an MB colour, probably a better chance of it surviving.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

Thanks for the responses all.

In the end I gave up trying to find Spa White. I had the original mixing ratios percentages of Spa White but my paint supply guy mentioned that although he could mix it there was no guarantee that it would be close to the original shade. So, instead of wasting time/money on trials mixes/spray outs etc here is what I did. Today I drove my white 73 TR6 to the paint supply store to use as a baseline for picking a shade of white. When my TR6 was restored about 6 years ago, I did a digital match of the original paint that was under the crash pad. I had one of the paint mixing guys come out with his chip samples and we managed to find a chip that is pretty darn close to what I have on my TR6. I ended up going with Glacier White that was used on some models of Subaru up until about 2002.

Here is a pic of my TR6 for reference.

TRRain.jpg

Cheers,

Tush

Problem resolved Tush - When are we going to see the TR3A finished ? I was hoping you would have had it a the All British Car Show at Bronte Creek along with Mike Graham's Salvador Blue smallmouth TR3. I know that one of you would have taken 1st and the other 2nd. As it was, neither of you were there so I had to accept the best sidescreen award.

Next year, the sidescreen class will be a tough one.

Cheers

Don Elliott, Original Owner, 1958 TR3A

Hi Neil, I think multiple companies use the title Glacier White. This one is definitely from a Subaru. It is listed on the can and I saw it on the computer screen in the paint mixing booth. It is Subaru paint code 230.

Don, my car will not hold a candle to yours. I am doing the best that I can on mine but there are some areas that I just can't fix as best as I would like. As you know the car was a former vintage racer and the body tub has had some "tweeks" here and there that will be obvious once it goes back together. It will be better than when I got it though at least and that is my goal :)

I am hoping that the Three of us might get together at next years All British Car Day in Ottawa. Would be a great photo op for sure. Now, Mikes car might give you a run for your money. It is a real beauty as you know. He will be your real competition.

Cheers

Tush

Edited by M. Pied Lourd

Hi Peter,

at the bottom of th eposting box there are 'more reply options' click on this.

This will open stuff in the left of the page - click on 'browse'.

Select your pic

You will then get another box something like - attach this post

This will then creat another box on the right of the screen - add to post

Position your cursor where you want the pic then click on this last command.

You have about 700K of picture size ot play with keep it to about 100K

Roger

Edited by RogerH