retro radio for tr6

Vintage car radios convert the Motorola jobbies of that era with FM and iPod socket, obviously they are correct looking. They have a web site. You'll also find converted ones on eBay, again 70s radios with the old style DIN fitting.

tonypam on ebay does multimedia player converted vintage radios. I had a very nice Pye 3 band radio from him and it sounds good. If you go down the old route remember that they're a bit fragile these days particularly the circuit boards which are prone to fracturing. It's an easy fix but finding the cracks can be trying.

Mine still has it's original Motarola in place, not that it works anymore, and not that I ever listened to it, as I much preferred the sound of the car!

But I dispensed with the hideous Cardboard Speaker housing they came with which was mounted on the Cardboard 'firewall' above the diff hump, Space wasting & Very Ugle!

No picture of it tho, it didn't deserve one!

Edited by Denis

Hi Denis,

many of these old radios used a particular trasisitor (AF117) that had a standard/repeatable fault.

Most trannies have three legs but the AF117 had four. The fourth leg was a screen wire earthing the case to ground.

This could get an internal short on the collector and stop it working.

Simply cut this earth/screen wire and it may or should spring into life.

Roger

Hi Denis,

many of these old radios used a particular trasisitor (AF117) that had a standard/repeatable fault.

Most trannies have three legs but the AF117 had four. The fourth leg was a screen wire earthing the case to ground.

Roger

"So do we cut the red wire or the blue wire" (Lethal weapon film ref.) :lol:

Stuart.

Hi Denis,

Roger

Oh yes indeed and the equivalent replacement doesn't have the same lead orientation so is a nightmare to fit without completely stripping the guts out of it. Radiomobile and Motorola use them in the RF stages.

One member on here posted a solution that I thought was very neat (might have been Pinky) which essentially used an old, push button front which hinged down to reveal the modern unit behind.

Having said that, I'm with Denis on the soundtrack I prefer.