Surrey Top clips

So, why do the clips for the elasticated strips on the A post and the backlight fix on the outside? If they are fixed inside, it would be much neater when the door is shut with the window raised? Plus on mine at least the door glass knocks against the clips on poor roads.

Mike

The idea is for the drop section of material over the top of the window should stay tight against it. If the glass is catching the clips then they arent adjusted right.

Stuart.

On both the "A" post and the Surrey on TR4/4A the clips are between the furfex seal and the channel for the rubber seal fixed to the flange that the furflex fits over.

Stuart.

Sorry Roger thats been fitted aftermarket. Away at the moment but when I get back I have library pictures of correct original positioning.

Stuart.

Stuart/Roger,

Thanks for the advice. However, if you have the one piece furflex/rubber seal what do you suggest for fitting the clips? I suppose I could make a small cut between the two and slip over the clip.

BTW, my last 4 had a different arrangement - with the one piece seal/furflex. The drop section of vinyl was carried back and forwards and ended on a press stud on the inside of the posts. Seemed to work well.

Mike

PS yes, some slight glass adjustment needed in any case - winter job!

On all the aftermarket hoods for 4a you will find the drop section of the hood is held forwards to the header rail by a stud on the inside. On a 4 it would be as Mike says on the inside of the top of the screen pillar. Both arent the best arrangements as it means the front end curves in a bit and can allow water ingress at the top front corner over the glass.

Stuart.

Hi all

Perhaps i am wrong but unless i misunderstood i always thought the flap that hangs down on the canvas surrey with the elastic straps on went inside the glass leaving the small piece above to act as a channel above the windows, to be honest i never expected a car built in the sixties to be waterproof anyway,probably why so many have rusted away from the floor upwards.As previously mentioned the hooks on mine are welded at the top of the screen and at the top of the rear screen behind the rubber seals for the wind up windows.

Phil..

Hi all

Perhaps i am wrong but unless i misunderstood i always thought the flap that hangs down on the canvas surrey with the elastic straps on went inside the glass leaving the small piece above to act as a channel above the windows, to be honest i never expected a car built in the sixties to be waterproof anyway,probably why so many have rusted away from the floor upwards.As previously mentioned the hooks on mine are welded at the top of the screen and at the top of the rear screen behind the rubber seals for the wind up windows.

Phil..

Phil

Thats correct.

Stuart.

• 4 weeks later...