Door repair sections

Paint-factors, the ones around here anyway, stock steel sections for jobs like this.

These are the correct "body-work" gauge and have a few simple bends that make them into useful shapes for lots of jobs.

Should be able to get a 6in piece with a 1in return flange.

I once discovered the web-site of the place that makes this stuff.

Buy a good folder and a sheet of 18SWG steel (1.2mm) and make them up yourself to suit. A lot of the motor factor stuff isnt the right gauge and is poor quality steel.

Stuart.

Superaquarama,...i hope you don't mind me asking Stuart a question in your posting.

Stuart,..i have some 0.9mm sheet steel in my garage,...question,.. is this suitable for the repair

to a door frame and the door skin..

thanks,.. terry

Superaquarama,...i hope you don't mind me asking Stuart a question in your posting.

Stuart,..i have some 0.9mm sheet steel in my garage,...question,.. is this suitable for the repair

to a door frame and the door skin..

thanks,.. terry

You will be much better off with the 18SWG(1.2mm), what you have is only any good for Baked bean tins. ;)

Stuart.

Thanks, Alan and Stuart. A client restores prewar cars for a living and I'm sure he'll have a folder and some 18 swg, so I'll give him a call.

Surprising they're not available off the shelf as they are for many other cars.

I just have a couple of penny sized holes at the bottom corners of one door and I suppose I could just repair them, otherwise the California shell's amazingly rust-free with just a couple of pinholes here & there which I thought to braze up and lead fill.

Personally by the sound of what you have I would hit the holes hard with a rotary wire brush to get back to good steel and rust treat the area then lead fill the holes in.They are usually right on where the skin meets the frame so enough support to take the heat with no problem as long as you keep the direction of heat towards the outside of the door.

Stuart.