Two questions in one post: speedi sleeves and number plates

Dear forum-ites:

Two simple (i hope) questions:

• what is the correct size / spec of speedi sleeve for use on a 3A halfshaft (to 'repair' a little bit of wear where the inner grease seal rubs). Also - does anyone who has used these sleeves have any tips on fiting etc?

• I'd like to purchase a new pair of number plates in silver on black / white on black. Any recent experience of the best place to get hold of these? Plenty of web based companies seem to do it, but it'd be good to know what recent experience has been on here.

As always - thanks in advance for any info offered.

Malcolm

Re number plates... If you going to the Silverstone Classic there is always a couple of stalls selling number plates, at least you can look at the quality before you buy..

Measure your half shaft and send off for the speedi sleeve they will tell you which one to buy. They are very easy to fit and work really well. I had a half shaft problem for over 20 years and it vanished after fitting the speedi sleeve.

Good luck

Thanks guys - aint going to S'stone so that ideas a no go I'm afraid...

And re the speedi sleeve, I suppose I was just being lazy - I figured someone else would be able to tell me what size was correct (assuming this doesn't vary between cars)... also minimises the chances of me messing up the measurements!

Malcolm

Mike Ellis has done this so should know the size/part number. I have used these plates before and they are pretty good for the money. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230466249724?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Edited by stuart

Malcolm,

This is what I wrote in TRaction 262

The first thing I noticed was some oil dripping from the nearside rear brake drum. On removing the drum it was clear that the axle oil seal was leaking, further dismantling showed that the section of the halfshaft that the seal ran on was quite pitted with corrosion. Rather than replace the shaft I decided to use a Speedi Sleeve. For those of you who have not come across these before they are a thin stainless steel sleeve which fits over the shaft but still allows the original specification oil seal to be used. As can be seen from the photograph the pitting was quite severe so I smeared some Loctite Quickmetal on the shaft before tapping the sleeve into place using a handy scaffold pole which was a perfect fit over the shaft. When I had originally assembled the axle I was only able to get an end float of 10 thou due to lack of suitable shims so I took this opportunity get some correct shims and reset the end float to its specification of 4-6 thou. A new seal was also fitted and there have been no oil leaks since. For information I obtained the sleeve (CR99131) from the very helpful ‘Simply Bearings’ for the price of just over £20, much cheaper than a new halfshaft.

Dismantling and reassembly are covered in the manual (you don't need to remove the hub from the shaft) and the sleeve itself comes with instructions.

I will send some photos that I took to your email.

Mike

A good place for number plates is Tippers Vintage Plates in Cornwall. They make all periods of authentic plates going back to the 20's.

My 73 TR6 is not legal on black / silver plates but they were happy to refurbish the originals which were black/ silver. They made an excellent job.

Tippers are used by the professional restorers.

Their web site www.tippersvintageplates.co.uk tells it all.

PHIL

Hi Malcolm

For the number plates, some suppliers do classic style plates, but their numbers are not quite as sharp as others - the corners of the digits are slightly rounded. I had some like this on my 1971 TR6 and I wasn't happy with them. I found some from a supplier at the Tatton show and he made me a set and they are really nice and crisp. Sharp corners! I know this is probably a bit OTT, but it mattered to me!

The company I used was the Number Plate Centre - they are based in Birmingham - 0121 773 8107. Very good customer service too - some plates I bought for my XJ6 started to flake/peel and they replaced it without question, even though I had had some paintwork done on the car and it was noticeable on the plate.

No connection etc.

Roger

PLATES.jpg

Roger,

That 2nd plate looks really sharp, so much better,imho, than the1st. for some reason that first style has become popular on pre '73 cars but always reminds me of the computer script plates of the early '80s,still,each to their own,

cheers,

Laurence