Hello Everybody,

I have just bought this car for 700 euro !!! (+/-500 GBP)

It’s a late car build in Solihull

The VIN in the raingutter reads

VIN :TPVDJ8AA403799

But the number on the left windscreen pillar reads

SATPV4182BA403799

What is the difference?

The car is imported from the USA (florida)so no rust at all.

The car needs new rubbers and a paintjob and some other minor jobs!

The car is a drophead but has AIRCO !!!

I don’t know if it works but ill find that out later

I was hoping somebody can tell me some more

Like the original color

why are the two numbers differend

And the swage lines have small chrome strips with rubber inserts

on it to protect the car?

Was this a factory option?

All other info everybody got is very welcome

greetings Herman

and what do you think of this price ?? :D

I have just uploaded some pictures

you can see them at

http://gallery135625.fotopic.net/c416355.html

Herman, I can explain the mystery of the 2 VIN numbers anyway!

The first number is the usual 1980 model year onwards VIN:

TPV - USA federal

D - convertible

J - 2 litre

8 - left hand drive

A - 1980 year (april to sep)

A - Solihull

The other number is a variation of the VIN to comply with new American chassis numbering regulations.

TPV - USA federal

4 - convertible

1 - 2 litre

8 - left hand drive

2 - a check digit!

B - 1981 year

A - Solihull

The digits at the end being the same of course.  The only odd thing being that one VIN states 1980 model year and the other 1981!

Is there not a paint code on the VIN plate to indicate the original colour - if there is look here PAINT CODES

Malcolm.

Herman, 403799 is definitely a1981 model year car manufactured in 1981 at Solihull. It seems everyone is using a version of the VIN number table first compiled by Paul Towle but on Solihull cars the main thing to look for are the last 4 numbers and how near they are to the last one 8534, this car is approx 4,735 cars from the end so it was  made in the period between January and March 1981. The reason the number in the rain channel is different is because that would have been stamped in the shell and because it was assembled before the car and so late (probably before September) in the previous year it would have been stamped as a 1980 car on the assumption it would be completed earlier. The vin plate is the one thats right.

The reason for aircon on drophead cars is so you dont get burnt when the sun is really hot, you can keep the hood up and still be cool. If you have problems with the aircon, first of all check if the compressor belts are fitted and then see if the clutch on the compressor is pulling in when the switch is turned to the on position, if you need to know more e mail me I think you have the address from before.The aluminium trim with plastic insert is an option often fitted by the supplying dealer, my own 1980 TR8 had it fitted before its restoration.

Hello Herman, What about the price?....excellent, it sounds like you have a good bargain there, if you fine another one...let me know!

Regards, Alan.

Hello Alan,

I think i was just lucky

a DHC in need of restauration costs in the netherlands around 1000 euros but then you will need to do some welding (a lot)

Greetings

Herman

Herman, 403799 is definitely a1981 model year car manufactured in 1981 at Solihull. It seems everyone is using a version of the VIN number table first compiled by Paul Towle but on Solihull cars the main thing to look for are the last 4 numbers and how near they are to the last one 8534, this car is approx 4,735 cars from the end so it was  made in the period between January and March 1981. The reason the number in the rain channel is different is because that would have been stamped in the shell and because it was assembled before the car and so late (probably before September) in the previous year it would have been stamped as a 1980 car on the assumption it would be completed earlier. The vin plate is the one thats right.

The reason for aircon on drophead cars is so you dont get burnt when the sun is really hot, you can keep the hood up and still be cool. If you have problems with the aircon, first of all check if the compressor belts are fitted and then see if the clutch on the compressor is pulling in when the switch is turned to the on position, if you need to know more e mail me I think you have the address from before.The aluminium trim with plastic insert is an option often fitted by the supplying dealer, my own 1980 TR8 had it fitted before its restoration.

Hello Chris

how is those trim Attached to the car ?

So this car is realy among the last produced in solihull!?!

Chris do you know where the paint code can be printed?

On the little Silver plate at the screen pillar only the VIN

is printed

Thanks for the tips regarding the airco

Yes al the belts are in place but that is last on my list of thing to do

Greetings Herman

Thanks Chris. I wondered about that.  And yes I was referring to the VIN tables on the world wide wedge for reference which are credited to Paul Towle and Rex Holford (LINK).  That's made me think now.... The explanation of the shell being stamped earlier makes sense.  

Herman.  I was thinking of the main VIN plate which should have the paint and trim codes on it.  The plate will be either on top of a suspension turret, or on the inside of one of the doors (below the lock).

Cheers

Malcolm.

Thanks Chris. I wondered about that.  And yes I was referring to the VIN tables on the world wide wedge for reference which are credited to Paul Towle and Rex Holford (LINK).  That's made me think now.... The explanation of the shell being stamped earlier makes sense.  

Herman.  I was thinking of the main VIN plate which should have the paint and trim codes on it.  The plate will be either on top of a suspension turret, or on the inside of one of the doors (below the lock).

Cheers

Malcolm.

Malcolm is there no difference in the modelyears 1980 and 1981 ?

Because thats the only thing that is differend in the two VIN'S

Has anybody taken a look at the pictures yet?

http://gallery135625.fotopic.net/c416355.html

Herman :D

Herman.  The VIN plate you are looking for with paint and trim codes is as attached.  Chris' point about the 1980/1981 years makes sense.  He's just saying that the body would have been stamped ready for 1980, but then not used until 1981 (in a 1981 VIN car).

Hello Everybody

I have found the VIN plate it was located at the drivers side door

LH

the codes are :

Paint JMW Persian Aqua BLVC 241

Trim AMG some sort of  Tan/yellow ?

The car has his original paint!!

The decals have been put on later i think because this was never an option i think.

Thanks everybody

for your help

I am gonna restore the car now and i am hoping to get it on the road again( It was sitting in a garage for the last 7 years)

Greetings Herman

:D  :D

I have, Herman.. Looks good. Not sure the swage trim is original, but love the replacement steering wheel! How much in £Sterling?    Maxwell

Maxwell  Is not the steering wheel a TR8 one I had one just like it on my TR7 V8 got it from Rimmer but that was years back do not know if you can still get them

Peter

The tan check is a lot more serviceable. For last years international I fitted a pair of NOS tan velour seats to my TR8 after about 500 miles they looked as ruffled as the ones I had taken out which had also been in a short time.
Any chance of getting it running well enough for a trip to The Kent Weekender in the middle of May?  We'd all love to see it..

Maxwell :D

Hello Maxwell,

I  don't think i can get the car ready in time but mayby next year.

i must check the carbs,brakes and the all of the electricity.

alfter 6 years sitting in a garage there must be some thinks broken.

The lh rear drum was seised (I hope this is the correct word)

Greetings Herman

:D