I've got a vibration in the rear of the transmission. It's like an unbalanced wheel, but higher frequency. It doesn't change much in or out of gear. It peaks at 45 +/- 10 mph. It's not wheel bearings (I know that sound) and I can't find any play in UJ:s. There is a play in the differential but that's the "normal" whining I guess. What I find is a play (radial, not the axial) in the drive shaft splines when I got the car on stands. Anyone knows how bad splines manifest itself?

The car is a -71 PI with A-type OD. I noticed this increasing vibration during a 800 miles trip last week.

By the way I discovered that the car runs fairly well on 95 because where I was there were no 98 available.

Bad splines often manifest themselves by a sort of clonk when the driveshafts unload. So if you drive over a kerb (a very small one in at TR) or a speed bump then if you hear a clonk when the rear wheels have just gone over the kerb that could be driveshaft splines locking and unlocking as the suspension absorbs the bump.

Edited by peejay4A

Very difficult to diagnose remotely! If both drive shafts show the same radial play then they are unlikely to have worn simultaneously over 800miles.

The frequency suggests to me propellor shaft UJ, so I'm with Stephen.

If you have an ex-USA engine, especially late model, they have low compression ratios and will run on 95RON.

Peter

Thanks for your suggestions,

I've ordered a couple of Volvo UJ:s (some Dutch guy suggested this), only £8 each, so it's worth a try.

I tried to run the car on the stands, but couldn't detect the vibration, so I guess the transmission need a bit of load to show the vibration.

Other thing, the engine is an original PI, but I retarded the ignition a bit to help it run on 95 RON.

• 2 weeks later...

This is not what you want to see in the short summer season! http://www.ijonsson.se/triumph/photos/drivlina/IMG_0773.jpg

Seems it is not only UJ:s that need updating. In the inner drive shaft flange, one of the cups for the UJ is rotating, not the bearing itself. So now I hope and pray for swift mail delivery of a new flange from UK! I was planning for a longer trip next weekend, but now it seems to be the daily driver this time.

Edited by ijonsson
  • 1 month later...

HI,

Im new to the forum, i just recieved an email from SC parts and noticed they are offering some new drive shafts here http://www.scparts.co.uk/index/lang-2/lkz-195/kat-180,actmenu-180,artikelid-57,functiontpl-cms_artikelanzeige.tpl,lang=2.htm has nayone heard anything about these? Im tempted to go for a pair after all the horror stories i have read about the drive shafts but want some mor opinions before i plough £1000 into the job.

The SC drive shaft certainly looks smart, but what a price :o

New drive shafts from Proptech Services in Kidderminster will last you 5 - 10 years at apprx £200+/pair.

Roger

Hi,

will this firm (Proptech ) ship to Sweden? Can't find them on the www

If they are £200+/pair it's less than half the price att Rimmer http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-TKC853UR , or is it compared to this http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-TKC853 (half shaft no hub) and at Moss they cost £170 each

/Inge

Proptech don't have a web presence but this is them and their phone number is +44 1299 251247

Proptech Ltd

Unit 81 Hartlebury Trading Estate, Hartlebury, Kidderminster, worcestershire, DY10 4JB