Hand Brake cables

Hi again,

My pair of metal sheathed brake cables are in good nick apart from the two rubber gaiters which have perished.Can we obtain new ones "gaiters that is" I've looked in all the parts books and all they do are replacement assembles, has anyone else sourced some ??

Cheers

Nigel

No answers !!!!! or am I being tight :-) Lol

Nigel

Nigel, I think the answer is NO, never seen them for sale anywhere. The replacement cables arent expensive , perhaps thats why...

I have the same problem.

I just closed off the end of the cable sheath with a few layers of heat-shrink. This was arranged to pull down on to the cable. Its not strong enough to trap it but will keep water/dirt out of the sheath.

Normal heat-shrink goes down 2:1 but you can get 3:1 easily and up to 10:1 is made.

I'd always rather fix the original than use a repro for a part like this. Reading the topic on part quality will tell you why.

I must admit I was toying with the idea of using heat-shrink, and as the cables are in such good condition it seems silly to just bin them, so thats what I will do !

Build the cable up a bit with a layer of heat-shrink. Then go over the built up area and the sheath.

Leave the top layer a bit long so it locks the build-up bit in place.

Ask if you need heat-shrink material. Imay have some spare left over.

As I used to work with a Tractor company Case IH, there is a part number in their parts system K906182 that was used on a cable on the range of David Brown Tractors to keep out the dirt just like the one on the brake cables.

If you need help finding a dealer near to you let me know.

Regards John

Thanks for the help guy's will start hunting !!

Alan, that could be the one I will measure mine up in the morning when I get home " 12hr nights :-( "

where is that from ??

Nigel

Probably more important to keep the water out of the cable is to waterproof sleeve the outer casing as Triumph used to do on the TKC prefix TR6 handbrake cables.

In this thread heat shrink is mentioned and that would do the job.

Early cars have a grease nipple on the cable so they can be pumped full of the stuff, which as well as lubricating resists water ingress.

Peter W