You may all remember the various Triumph teams that have competed in the legendary Birkett Six Hour Relay Race.

With the entry of more and more moderns, and an attitude to polite racing that was neither the team members’, nor mine, it became impossible to enter.
Triumph was not alone. At the last I know of, 2010, there were almost no classics and no veteran cars at all. Oh, for the days when the Mother Gun Bentley, Riley One-and-a-half litres and Formula 750 cars all entered!

But the 750MC have seen the error of their ways, and are to hold a (an?) Historic Birkett FOUR-hour relay race on Saturday 2nd November 2013. The event will be at Snetterton, on the new 300 circuit. It will be to the same regulations as the Original Birkett, except that there will be classes for Vintage cars (pre-1930), and for other cars built before 1974, split into three classes by engine capacity.

See:
http://www.750mc.co.uk/formulae/historicbirkett.htm

and: http://www.snetterton.co.uk/calendar/2013/november/750-mc.aspx

I shall be delighted if I can organise another All-Triumph team to re-enter a Birkett, to follow the Everhopefuls, Team Triumph and the Spitfire Squadron. As well as cars and drivers, the team needs pit and trackside helpers, so please let me know if you would like to join in the fun!

John

Edited by john.r.davies

No details at all yet, over what I gave above.

I can only extrapolate from the last Birkett Triumph was involved in, 2008, when for a six car team the cost was £200 each.

This one is 'only' four hours, but prices have risen, so I'd expect that ball park or a bit more.

But pm me with your email address and I'll include you in the list of the interested.

May I have the email of yer man, too, please?

John

STOP PRESS!

Giles Groombridge for the 750MC will accept any car whose production started before or in 1974, so all TR6s and Spitfires eligable.

Car's date of production doesn't matter.

John

There was a time that the TR Register would have been up at the front of the queue with an official club entry - or even two, one team for 4 and one for 6 cylinder cars.

TR performances in the late 70s and 80s, in all the relay races not just the Birkett, elevated the status of the entire TR range by a huge amount. As the classic car movement expanded, TRs were to be seen up towards the front of many a grid, and competing in the relay races in particular punched far above their weight.

The highlight had to be that 4 Hour Donington in the late 80s, 4-pot TRs in 4th on distance, 6-pots in 6th place, with pure sports racer teams in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th slots. Every other production based team trailed the TRs - Aston Martin, Austin Healey, BMW, Ferrari, Ford, Jaguar, MG, Morgan, Porsche et al.

"To preserve the marque TR" - the Register relay teams achieved a tremendous amount, the reflected glory of successful teams rubs off on every car, and it's just one of the many successful aspects that pushed TRs to the forefront of the classic scene.

A TRadition that needs to be revived, if TRs are to have a long term future as rosy as their past . . . .

Cheers

Alec