TR6 Windscreen Rubber Seal and Trim Strip

I'm having major problems fitting a new windscreen rubber chrome trim strip when Autoglass changed the windscreen on my TR6 yesterday. I had purchased a new screen rubber and trim from Rimmers as my originals were past their best after 40 years! The fitter was able to install the new screen and rubber using the rope trick and all was looking good filling the frame perfectly. The problems arose when he attempted to fit the trim strip which simply wouldn't stay put in the rubber channel. The fact that the trim came coiled up certainly didn't help coupled with the fact that the depth of the groove in the new rubber screen seal didn't seem deep enough? Anyway despite trying for two hours and ruining the new trim strip it remains unfinished and I'm unsure how to proceed from here.

I've ordered a new trim from the TR Shop as their quality is always very good. Reading an earlier thread on this forum it sounds as though I may also need to buy another new screen rubber if I want the chrome trim to be fitted. As i have an outstanding order from the TR Shop I was going to get them to supply another rubber seal. Does anyone have any experience with the screen rubbers from the TR Shop or should I go on the side of caution and get one from Moss? I will also need to have the discussion with Autoglass who will need to remove the new screen which will obviously not be ideal. Speaking with the TR Shop suggests they have never had any complaints with the rubber seal and trims they supply?

I have seen so many TR6's beautifully restored with new screen rubbers and trims at the IWE last year so presumably I can achieve the same? I'm feeling pretty fed up to be honest so any advice or guidance as always from fellow members would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Peter

Sorry to hear your having problems with that chrome trim. It had me really confused when I first tried to install it, after having my glass replaced.

The trick for me was petroleum jelly. I put it in the windscreen groove all the way around, then just pushed the chrome trim in. It worked great, and the clean up

was easy with soapy water. Hope this helpstr6112411150.jpg

Thanks everyone for the feedback, appreciated. I shall give the TR Shop a call tomorrow and get them to include a new screen rubber with the replacement trim strip I've already ordered. Really useful to know they get their stock from Moss so it should work fine (fingers crossed).

To answer Neil's question the fitter was using a selection of looped tools which opened up the rubber trim whilst he was trying to feed in the chrome trim through the loop. I suspect the groove in the Rimmer screen rubber isn't sufficiently deep as no sooner did he feed in the trim it simply twisted and came straight back out again. He ended up trying so many times he ended up damaging the chrome trim and I suspect the inner guides in the screen rubber as well.

I shall give Autoglass another go with the new parts from the TR Shop (Moss) and let everyone know in due course how I get on.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards, Peter

Neil, so the idea is for the filler strip to just slide in? looking at the screen seal from Rimmers currently on my car there is no way it will slide in especially around the corners which are pretty much closed up. I hope when I receive the TR Shop (Moss) screen rubber this job should be a lot easier. I'm just amazed that Rimmer continue to sell this screen rubber if it's known to be not fit for purpose.

Regards, Peter

Hi Peter

Just a thought, but was your windscreen fitter trying to fit all of the trim into the groove in the rubber? that is what you would normally use that loop tool for, on the TR6 its only the blade on the back of the trim that sits in the rubber.

Paul

Morning Paul,

Yes indeed, the windscreen fitter was attempting to fit the whole trim inside the rubber seal rather than just the blade. He told ne the top of the 'T' section should be held in place by the lips of the rubber seal? I'm now totally confused too be honest but will go ahead and order up a replacement rubber seal and trim this morning from the TR Shop and try again with another fitter.

This really shouldn't be that difficult should it?

Regards, Peter

Hi

I recently fitted a trim and from experience having tried to fit the whole seal in the grove that it is indeed only the small round short portion which goes in the rubber, you should be able to see all the nice chrome part. I found warming the trim in very hot water made it more pliable and it went easily round the corners. I used a lubricant from Durex which not surprisingly is safe for rubber. The trim will be too long so I suggest as you near completion make sure you don’t push it too far and then carefully trim before fitting the metal crhome finisher at the centre middle bootom of the screen. I left about 10mm gap between the end to make this easier. This is a bit fiddly and also sits outside the groove in the rubber seal. Hope this helps

Smeggy

I just saw my screen in last week for the first time at the garage i'm using (classic car garage btw) for some of the rebuild.. the chrome strip has been fitted so the clip is central at the top of the windscreen. Great. plus its cracked, I had it coiled up in storage for a year before fitting but i'm still quite annoyed. it was a Rimmers part, I may try getting a replacement from Moss if it's something that I can just peel out and replace without removing the rubber..