Barn find TR2 OWK788

Well nearly, I knew it was there, as it was my barn. been in the barn since 1972. Any information saught about January 1954 TR2 registered 22nd February 1954. Longdoor Tr2.

Early log book lost before I got the car and usual sources unable to provide further informtion, previous local owners now dead, or just appear that way.

Original Racing green with.beige or Tan trim. (depends on your vision i suppose)

Wire wheels.

Overdrive.

Heater.

Undergoing major ground up restoration and hopefully back on the road sometime soon for her 60th birthday.

Rgds

Hopefull

Rod

What is the 'TS' number Rod, ours was built the 19th. March 1954 - TS952, wiper motor is stamped 12th March 1954 so the 'just in time' parts supply was going back then! Best of luck with the restoration, cannot be any worse than ours when I started (I hope). Is it still on the lockheed axle with the specific rear wire wheel hubs - as per a post some time ago I have only seen one lockheed axle for wires, tried to buy the whole car plus axle but at the time the cost was beyond what it was worth, but now.................... hindsight - as everybody say's is a wonderful thing, wonder if it is still there. I have the address and phone numbers if anybody is interested.

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

The Commission number is TS430 and the build number and body number are consequentive. ST obviously started manufacturing in ernest into 1954.

Original lockheed splined hubs, gearbox number (even though overdrive is within 20 of the comission number) The early cars were much closer in the numbers game. They were only building a small number at the time.

Wiper motor is period with and early date, did yours have any stencilled black letters on the gearbox cover? Luckily I have spare Brand new CRT wiper motors still in the wax paper wrapping.

The distributer is stamped 11 53. and the very early DM 2.

The car also has a worked on low port head, and tubular manifold.

Not sure if this is a common issue but the early cars seemed to sometimes split the drum with cracks eminating from the screw hole, mine had a sweated on ring. I initially thought this was a sort of balance ring, I do not think the MOT man would allow that through nowadays.

I would be interested in the number relationship of other cars around that time and how close the numbers were.

Rgds

Rod.

Many thanks Ash,

Ye gods that callow youth in the drivers spot is my good self. Not sure I was able to see over the wheel but certainly barely out of nappies.

Considering those pictures are digital photos of slides they have turned out quite good.

Thanks again.

Rgds

Rod

There's always bloody one, has to go and spot the fact that my brother liked to park the wheelbarrow up the Dogs bottom. he can be seen here removng it.

Thanks a lot Niall for pointing out the family secret.

Cheers

Rod