Speedo no more

On my way home tonight my speedo suddenly died.

I was doing around 70, stopped at a roundabout and when I pulled away again the speedo stayed on zero. The odometer is also frozen.

Prior to this, the speedo was reading true at 30/40 but over 60 it was bouncing a little (though still failrly accurate against a GPS reading).

My first thought is that I need a new cable but wondered if there are other checks I should sensibly undertake before heading off down that route? Could it be the speedo itself?

Hi Percy,

sounds very much like the cable. The bouncing needle at speed suggests it was snagging inside the outer cover.

Remove cable from back of speedo. If anything is sticking out then try to withdraw it. You will probably find not all of it comes out.

Relacing could be fun as you may need to remove the tunnel. If your lucky there may be a removeable cover co-incident with the angle drive, but the seat will need to come out.

Good luck

Roger

MOT still a few months away and I'd planned to do a few bits before then anyway so I'll add this to the list. April & May have been earmarked as TR tinkering months.

Thanks for he feedback.

Steve

Decided to check out the speedo cable routing today as the car was lifted anyway. Noticed a lot of play (wobble) in the angle joint - is that normal??

Hmmmm....having now disconnected the speedo cable at both ends I have discovered that it seems to turn freely so would appear to be intact. I am now wondering if the angle joiint could be the issue or whether I should focus on the speedo itself.

The AJ is pretty loose. I think the bracket which attaches it may be broken so there is a lot of wobble.

Not sure what to do next - any suggestions?

Steve

If you have a "J" type overdrive then you dont really need the angle drive anyway. It does sound as if the angle drive has done the usual thing and broken the short extension piece that goes into the gearbox.

Stuart.

If you have a "J" type overdrive then you dont really need the angle drive anyway. It does sound as if the angle drive has done the usual thing and broken the short extension piece that goes into the gearbox.

Stuart.

I've removed the angle drive by unbolting the A shaped bracket keeping it in place as I was unable to undo the knurled screw on gearbox side of the angle joint. I can see any sign of a short extension piece of cable so assume you are correct Stuart. I will try to reinstall the cable without the angle drive and see how that goes. May be a while before I get a result as the car is without oil and a cooling system at the moment......

Steve

If you cant find the little bit of cable that goes from the angle drive into the box then its broken off in there and you are going to have to fish it out from the drive section before trying to fit another cable.

Stuart..

• 1 month later...

Hi Percy,

How did you get on with your Speedo woes and what did you find in the end?

I have suffered speedo bounce for a while so replaced the cable - this made no difference at all, until I 'fiddled' with the section behind the dash and found that putting a sharp bend in the cable actually stopped the bounce. This was Ok until I experienced a nasty squealing noise and the whole lot stopped completley! It appeared that a peice about an inch long had broken from the speedo end of the cable inner.

Ok so last Friday I got a new cable, attached the G/box end to a drill and the other to the speedo - Totally fine no bounce

Took the angle drive out from the G/box - attached that to the cable and the drill to the angle drive - all perfect - no bounce

Connected it all back up at both ends - took it for a drive and all was perfect for about 5 miles, then the squealling noise started again until the speedo stopped completley.

Today I undid the knurled nut behind the speedo and withdrew the cable inner from the outer only to find the cable in perfect condition at both ends!?

Not really sure where to go now?

Little progress on my speedo I'm afraid. I've had Percy in bits over the last few weeks working on electrics & radiator as well as installing some nice new seats.

I did manage to connect the cable to the overdrive without the angle drive and got everything back together over the weekend. Unfortunately, the speedo remained inoperative during a test drive so I have ordered a new angle drive and will report back once I've installed that.

Steve