STROMBERGS LEAKING?

Hi All,

Petrol dripping from the lower part of the float chambers, guessing it might be 'O' rings on the bushing screw which holds the jet? In which case anyone know a good source for replacement 'O' rings?

Any other suggestions, float height etc.

All the best & thanks in advance

Bob

Bob

There are three " O " rings ( per carb ) Moss numbers 512311, 512308A and RTC165A.A float chamber gasket ( x 2 ), if you are taking the float chamber off, will be required.

If you are going to cheat and just remove the jet assembly through the float chamber, put a smear of vaseline on the new main " O" ring to aid re-assembly.

Have something to catch any remaining fuel in the carb.

Wind up the main jet assembly tight, whilst centering the jet as you go ( lifting and letting the piston fall frequently ).Screw the jet right up against the piston ( held down by thin screwdriver, having temporarily removed the damper ) and unscrew three complete revolutions.This will give you a start point for retuning.

All the usual checks re oil in the damper,all nuts tight,choke and accelerator operation correct and lubricated.

Sources..the usual Triumph suppliers plus Burlen www.burlen.co.uk. ( Close the telegram down from the response page and search under Zenith )

I just refitted a pair of 175CDs after rebuilding them.Got the engine to fire up first time but it's so _ _ _ _ _ _ freezing out there ,I 've whimpped out and I'm going to complete the tuning when it's a bit warmer !!

Good luck with it..I presume it's old rubber that doesn't like unleaded.Diaphragms OK ?

Bob

Edited by bob-menhennett

Hi Bob & Badfrog ... thanks.

Bob, I'll replace the 'O ' Rings , and thanks for the tips.

Strombergs are not that bad, but SU's probably do have the edge?

Cheers

Bob.

I like my Strombergs I think they look butch and not effeminate like SU's which I think are more suitable for MG'ster

From my experience it's lack of use/age which allows the seals to dry out & harden and then when you try and adjust the mixture the o ring sticks to the jet and splits.

I fitted new seals and diaphrams over 10 years ago and fine so far. For a nearly standard or slightly tuned engine the Strombergs are fine, the time to replace them with SUs is when the throttle spindles wear out and air ingress results in a high tickover.

Strombergs do have one advantage over SUs, when SUs are old the seal made between the alloy piston and the dash pot is not as good resulting in the piston lifting more slowly and affecting the mixture, on Strombergs this seal is done by the diaphrams and when they wear out they split and you get no seal but when replaced the seal is then as good as a new carb.

Edited by potts4a

Stipped the bushing screw, jet etc. gave the parts a good clean up. Ordered the parts , 3 pairs of 'O' rings , from Burlen Fuel Systems, next day delivery, very good service from them!

Sorted!

Cheers

Bob.

I don't if the UK uses the same standard for o ring sizes, but in the states the 3 sizes of o rings for the ZS jet assembly are -010,-011, and -114. The largest (-114) is for the hole in the float chamber. They should be available from an auto parts or industrial supplier. Viton or Buna-N is the preferred material for exposure to gas.

Berry

Berry,

The 3 sizes of 'O' rings were readily obtained from Burlen Fuel Systems in the UK , ex stock - 24hr delivery, fitted perfectly! First Class service.

www.burlen.co.uk The only regret is the fuel is not priced the same as yours!!!!

Thanks

Bob.

Jana-I just like to be able to source the parts locally and avoid being raped for shipping charges on small orders.

Maybe our fuel is cheap compared to what to what you are used to paying, but it seems like the market is being manipulated by speculators and oil companies closing refineries to control supply.

Berry