Is a nut splitter the solution...?

Hi Miles,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l2736&_nkw=dremel+cutting+discs.

These are the type of discs I mean, very thin and give the best access, any thing bigger means you get a smaller cut. You are trying cut a split rather than press a split using pressure. Use part worn ones as they are smaller giving even more access.

By a spiral cut I mean to try to get round and cut as much as possible down the nut. A straight cut wont cut the full nut before you catch the manifold flange so by cutting at an angle away from the manifold and out following the thread it forms a sort of spiral. All you need to do is get as long a cut though the nut as possible so it splits easier.

I was sceptical about the stud extractor but it was recommended by the body shop as the best type. To be sure I really recommend getting the manifold off so it fits close to the head and gives the maximum thread length to act on.

The type I suggested because of the excentric knurled boss gets tighter as you turn it and catches the threads better than the ball type.

It really is worth the effort now because you could have to remove the head to get a broken stud out should it break close to the head.

Hope this helps.

rgds

Rod

If you do have to remove the stud then you need to do what you can to ensure that you dont break off in the process.

I always do the same thing when undoing something that may be stuck/rusted in place.

Heat it and hit it with cold water so that one part shrinks. Doing this a few times breaks the bond.

In this case I'd run the engine until hot. Then hit just the stud with a water jet. Then just wait for it to heat up again.

This wont take much effort and in my experience frees stuff that you have broken otherwise.

Al.

Hi Miles,

I can see a scenario building up -

Stud snaps

Off with the manifold - no joy

Off with the head - extract stud

Whilst head is off - pop out the pistons and liners to clean crud around #4 pot (cylinder for the Gringo's)

Whilst the sump is off - off with the oil pump.

Rebuild dizzy whilst oil pump is disconnected.

Replace main bearing shells - drop the crank - remove gearbox.

Strip out the interior

off with the windscreen

Out with the engine

Off with the wings

Full respray

Put back together

I think you should be driving it by about April - 2015. :lol::lol::P

Don;t get carried away

Roger

I think you were right in the first place - use a nut splitter.

I have had one for years and it is only used rarely but works every time and doesn't damage the underlying thread.

Mine looks like the draper one that comes up if you google nut splitter but is a bit more butch - it will split nuts up to about 1".

They aren't that expensive and are a valuable addition to the tool box when dealing with old cars.

Rgds Ian

• 4 weeks later...

Update! I has taken a month but I managed to grab a couple of hours with the car today.

Neil was on the money - nut splitters are the solution! Got a really well made pair for about a fiver on Amazon.

I was cautious tightening them down but the crack you get on the second drive as the nut splits is pretty satisfying.

file_zpsc07a1e26.jpg

Bad news is that the stud is stripped and from the ancient looking rust on the stripped section, has been for a very long time! Thank you PO.

file_zps61ec6eaa.jpg

So risking adverse comments, the temporary fix is 3 brand new spring washers and a brand new brass nut (and a brass nut on the engine is a thing of beauty) , applied with Copaslip.

file_zpsce7ac4ad.jpg

I know the stud has got to come out sometime and I know all the steel manifold nuts should be replaced with the nice brass ones I have bought, but until I really need to get the head off, I would quite like to drive the car occasionally! I am pretty sure this fix will do the job for a god while.

Anyway, as ever, thanks for all the suggestions which I had in reserve if the splitters did not do the job.

Next is the newly discovered leaking heater valve control.

Miles