Need leccy techy help please?

Now check the earth for the dash light and if that is OK then get yet another flasher unit. I have tended to get my local factors to send out 4 at a time and then pick the best one as very often they have a high failure rate.

Durite do a good electronic version with the 3 pins as required.

Stuart.

If I had a faulty flasher I'd unfold the aluminium can and find out what was wrong with it.

It looks to me that the contact that does the warning light has got stuck in the closed position.

Contacts that stick like this often come apart easily and then just need a little cleaning to set back into good order.

If good replacement flashers were available then this wouldn't be worth doing, maybe. But it seems this is not the case.

You dont have much to loose by trying this.

Al.

If you do that Al you can see why they dont last five minutes. The internal parts are very flimsy and no where near as well put together.

Stuart.

Oh I wouldn't do this on a repro. Only on a original.

If this really is an insoluble problem I will make some bomb-proof electronic ones. Simple timer driving some good relays.

Is the flasher always mounted near the instrument regulator?

We could combine a bomb-proof regulator at small extra cost.

And if you wanted you could do hazard-flashers at the same time.

Al.

Certainly not going to do this unless its a real problem as I said in the post.

My original type flasher quite easily runs all the indicators in "hazard mode".

I dont really like electronics in these vehicles. Too much electrical interference and poor wiring practice.

Al.

I certainly wasn't planning to do this unless its a really insoluble problem, as I said in the post.

I was trying to find out if the regulator and flasher are in the same place on TR2, TR3, TR6 etc

Both in the same footwell is conveniently close.

My original flasher will run all the indicators in "hazard-mode".

I don't really like electronics in these vehicles. Too much electrical noise and poor wiring practise.

Al.

No voltage regulator at all on 2/3/3a/3b`s. 4/4a opposite foot wells. 5/6 regulator behind the dash on the speedo and the flasher in the left hand foot well so not really practical to combine Im afraid Al.

Stuart.

Indicatorlight1.jpg

Indicatorlight2.jpg

Morning,

Well, I checked the earth on the indicator warning light and that's OK. The first image is the brightness with the original (3 months old flasher) and also with the warning light lit by a temporary feed and its earth.

The second (very dim indeed) is the indicator warning light through the new flasher purchased earlier this week - can hardly see it in the dark and useless in the day light. Would need to buy a warning buzzer in tandem with the light from somewhere?

The supplier said they do not exchange parts which have been used even once and even if faulty! I was polite but firm and showed the manager these photos - very reluctantly I was offered an exchange which I refused as I don't think these are reliable parts - they all have names like 'fuel parts' 'first lines' 'intermotor' etc and have no faith in them really.

Having got my £9 back now I shall order a Durite and hopefully I can start flashing again AND have a properly illuminated dash warning light all at the same time. Update you when that happens.

Thanks, Saggy

Hi Saggy,

those 'names' you found on the flashers are not manufacturers but the next step along. They are probably all made by the same chappie in his shed.

I found an 'Intermotor; item on ebay a short while ago and it was described as a TR4 item but in fact was for a TR4A. So I dropped them a line.

They actually replied, which was good. But the answer was less so. They stated that their supplier said it was TR4 so TR4 it was. They hadn't a clue.

I now know what NOT to buy.

Roger

Just ordered one of these which should arrive soon and my flasher world will be complete (or not!) :

www.classic-technologies.com

There's a video on YouTube of the thing working:

(or at least I think this is the same product - I'll let you know when it arrives!)

£20 for the trafficator + £5 for extra postage - no doubt someone on here could knock one up for a couple of quid all in but it seemed a simple fit and forget with no messing about.

A bright indicator light and a not unpleasant loud beep is the promise.

And it's fully reversible for you concours nuts.

The guy selling them has responded to emails and is obviously an enthusiast so I'm optimistic it will do what it says on the tin.

(Nb BLIMEY! The video has actually appeared in the post - I can't get a tiny little pic. to come up without an error message but a full blown vid. is no problem! The wonders of science)

cheers,

Edited by Paul Harvey

I found a thread on a US Triumph Forum referring to Johnny250 no
longer making said item and giving permission to anyone who wanted to
copy his idea to carry on.

Lots of people over there seemed to have bought one off this guy so I followed suit.

We'll soon know - maybe it will play the star spangled banner..........