TR4A trunnions touching spring base

Just completed the front suspension part of the chassis assembly, but notice a (hopefully) minor problem.

The lugs of the trunnions on both sides are just touching the rounded part of the base of the spring carriers on the lower wishbones, by which I mean the lugs where the steering stops bolt in.

I can't see any reason for this and thought at first that it might be that the new trunnions' castings may be too generous at that spot, but they don't look any different from the old ones and there's no adjustment anywhere.

Before I file a bit off the lugs, has anyone else encountered this ?

Edited by Superaquarama

I would carefully compare the Trunnions with the old ones there may be a finishing/machining error on the new trunions, are you sure they are correctly drilled for the pivot bolt ? if this was a bit high it may cause your problem. If you file them and find a problem elsewhere then they can not be returned. Personally I would remove the new trunnion and spend some time with a vernier gauge and the old trunnion verifying the measurements before resorting to a file.

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=2353

Alan

Edited by Kiwifrog

Thanks,chaps. No, at present it's just the bare chassis with no engine or body and that could of course make a difference. That said, the wishbones are fairly horizontal as I think the trunnion contact is preventing it from dropping down.

Another thing is that at the moment I have only one shim on the lower wishbone mounts (as a starting point), but more will just move the whole thing outwards although the angle would change so this might make a difference.

I screwed the trunnions fully on and then backed off about 3/4 of a turn so that full lock would occur before the trunnions hit the end of the thread - is this correct ?

As you suggest, Kiwi, I'll whip off a trunnion and measure it up precisely against an old one, also check the centering of the tunnel in the casting.

Any chance of a photo, maybe we can 'see' what the problem is.

Not sure if this would cause your problem, but, are the wishbones upside down?

Cheers

Sorry, everyone, this was a bit of a false alarm ! I had another look today, put the spring compressor back on and then fitted a block of wood between the upper wishbones and the turret. This enables the suspension to more or less sit at normal ride height once the spring's released.

The result is that the trunnion is indeed about 1/2" away from the spring pan, so you were right, Chilliman !

But many thanks for the help as always, everyone, apologies for raising the issue unecessarily.

Glad it's sorted; I've completed the running gear & suspension on my 4 and have loads of photo's so it's always worth asking before any unnecessary remedial work.