Windscreen Frame Removal

Have you removed the dashboard? This will make it much easier.

I suspect the clamps are the same as the TR4A. These have three bolts holding the side-clamps to the body.

BUT

one of them also clamps the spigot into the side-clamp. This bolt you undo from the outside. Its the bolt at the top, nearest the door, not the one under the wing.

Having said that these clamps get wet and rust up. You may need to undo the clamps completely and wiggle them.

Makes no difference if the glass is in or out except its heavier and there is less to hold on to.

Al.

Al - thanks for that. In all probability the brackets are the same as on the TR4. From memory it's only the nut on the frame spigot which clamps the frame. The other bolts on the bracket position it but don't clamp the frame. Don't you think? JJC

No I definitely dont think! I only tightened mine last week.

You got to take the nuts off the end of the spigot AND release the part of the clamp that wraps around it. This means the bolt in the door shut has to be undone.

If it wasn't like this it would rattle around in the hole.

Al.

Loosen them all off JJC. They might be spreading the frame legs which will tighten them up in the tube. If you can get some penetrating fluid on them it wouldn't do any harm.

The trick to undoing the bolts, without removing the wings, is to use a ring spanner that does not have any "offset" on the head.

Basically they are kind of flat, with just a small angle between the head and the handle. Also need a short one.

You can get about one or two flats at a time, so removing them completely is tedious, but just slackening is OK.

My fram goes in and out easily, with just slackening one top bolt, but it was all rebuilt that way and is all rust-free.

Al.

• 2 weeks later...