What is the correct finish for the front grille bars?

Hi all

As the title suggests can anyone let me know the correct black for the grille bars?.The paint thats on there has faded & is badly worn.Is it a satin gloss, black gloss or matt finish?

Its just one of the jobs that needs doing over the winter months.

Thanks Steve.

Edited by steve w
  • 2 weeks later...

Matt or Satin ...between paint vendors it may just be a difference in description but I believe matt was the original finish.. Critical element here is to ensure the paint (and undercoat) you use adhere properly to the anodised aluminium of the grille. May be worth doing a test section and check a few days later with some masking tape to see if the paint peels off before doing the full paint job and putting it all together.

You have observed (and I can from experience confirm) it is a rather difficult item to mask & paint. As is subject to attacks from all sorts of flying bugs and other objects in service it needs a finish that will stay there!

While in that area think about how to paint the area behind the grille on either side of the radiator. Sometimes this ends up body colour which can look a little odd. I beleive the original was matt black.

Robert Johnston

TR5 CP1176

Auckland, New Zealand.

Perhaps look for a paint or at least undercoat that is compatible with with anodised aluminium. This maybe easier to find around the domestic/commercial glazing industry for use on anodised window & door frames rather than at an auto shop. I have found products here but I am sure you will find something OK in UK.

Hi

Does anyone know what paint is best for this job?, originally it appears that there was no undercoat?

Cheers Carl

Carl

I just cleaned the whole lot then 1200 and used Carplan matt cheap as chips and 5 years later still sound

Hello,i have recently done mine,i used a satin black ,that i am sure was also quite matt...will check up on the make...its goes on well and dries quickly.......yes the masking was challenging and time consuming,but i did it in the warm on the kitchen table....its in all a satisfying job and looks great.

Cheers,

Conrad.

• 4 weeks later...

Did you guys have to remove the bonnet to take the grill out? looks like I am going to have to, the top lip of the grill is 5mm to high to come passed the front of the bonnet!

Cheers Carl

Morning carl. i think the bonnet stayed on,rob forster was working on my car at the time,so i took the opportunity to do the grille and bumper whlie they were off.

Cheers,

Conrad,

Hi Conrad

Coffee and a fag, revisit, out she pops, with some slight lifting of the bonnet edge. Looking forward to putting it back, not.

Cheers Carl

• 2 weeks later...

Neil, used your technique, very happy with the result.

Conrad, you were right, something quite satisfying with the masking!

Cheers Carl