engine won't run

I'm at the stage of starting the engine for the first time in my rebuild and it won't run. It seams to run on 3 or 4 cylinders and won't rev above 2000 rpm

I have checked the spark plugs,firing order,injectors and they all work.

I have timed the metering unit so I can just see the start of a hole on number 6 injector port with it on top dead centre firing on number 1 cylinder,

I've got over 100 psi at the metering unit

everything is new

I think it maybe that the metering unit may not be timed correctly, is it possible to get it 180 degrees out ?

any ideas what to look at next.

Ian

Ian,

Somethings way out but MU timing is not that critical.

Spark timing?

Around 12BTDC static. Inability to go over 2000 rpm might be due to way too much advance, which gets worse as the centrigugal advance comes in.

Fo is 153624 anticlockwise looking down on the disy.

Any backfiring into manifold?

Peter

Cam timing? when #1 piston is at tdc (firing) #6 rockers should be rocking (inlet opening exhaust closing).

Think its right, was sort of checked when metering unit was set

The engine was built 8 years ago and i can't remember how it was set, but its a standard cam, so i don't think its that as its just line up the marks to set. not like a performance cam that has to be set with a dial guage etc

Ian

Hi Ian

Prime suspects may be either the rotor arm or dissy cover, there are some dodgy ones about.

Failing that pull injectors one by one with engine running and check you have a nice cone spray.

I think I have a spare rotor and cap, will try and get up Tuesday night.

John

Ian,

Not 8 year old petrol I hope!

New rotor arm? - must be red.

Starting to run out of suggestions...

Peter

no not 8 year old petrol :)

new red rotor arm

was thinking i might have the injector pipes on wrong on the metering unit

Hi Ian.

I had a bad misfire when setting mine back up after it split a MU diaphragm.

Did a mini service at the same time.

I was chasing around the engine thinking it was MU timing,blocked injector,or this,or that,or the other.

Nothing I did cured it,until!!

Turned out to be a duff new dizzy cap,as the center rotor contact was stuck up and not contacting properly!

As soon as I put the old dizzy cap back all was perfect.

Also there are some new red rotors out there that are not the genuine Distributor Doctor article,and are known to be duff!

Hi Ian.

I had a bad misfire when setting mine back up after it split a MU diaphragm.

Did a mini service at the same time.

I was chasing around the engine thinking it was MU timing,blocked injector,or this,or that,or the other.

Nothing I did cured it,until!!

Turned out to be a duff new dizzy cap,as the center rotor contact was stuck up and not contacting properly!

As soon as I put the old dizzy cap back all was perfect.

Also there are some new red rotors out there that are not the genuine Distributor Doctor article,and are known to be duff!

Will check it out but i don't think this is the problem

To check the plugs i took them all out and lay them in a row on the rocker cover and they all worked, which proved the points,rotor arm, dizzy, leads and plugs work.

I think

Ian

no not 8 year old petrol :)

new red rotor arm

was thinking i might have the injector pipes on wrong on the metering unit

Ian

Yes if injector pipes are in wrong holes on the MU then some of the injection pulses could be lost down the exhaust if the squirt happened in the overlap period. Or maybe not .....dont rreally know for certain

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold