Hello from Sussex

Hi Johhny,

Nice car - I think I saw it online when I was looking for mine a few months ago but it was down Southampton way & I couldn't arrange to get down to see it.

Enjoy!

Steve

Hi Johnny, Welcome to the TR forum.

This is actually my first post as I too have just joined the group of TR6 owners (just trailered mine back yesterday from purchase. It would have drove, but I want to service it and rather then do a 200 mile journey on a 43 old car just bought I felt trailer was safer option)

What caught my eye is that I looked at and test drove this blue H-reg TR6 while I was looking at TR's, which I see you have now bought (I presume from the dealers in Lymington?) - I do hope you enjoy it!!

I can also confirm that its body and paintwork are in good tidy condition, and motor runs pretty well.

I did spot that it was fitted with the later engine (hence the later throttle bodies) and as you say a lot of money has been spent on it in the past.

I'm pretty thorough in my inspections and I did spot a couple of things that I'd like to let you know. (again please don't take this the wrong way, like another poster here I'm not trying to be critical of your great new purchase, just trying to be of assistance to a fellow new TR owner)

Main item was there is a couple of coolant leaks from the core plugs on the block, on the nearside if I remember correctly. They are nice and easy to replace. It would be a shame if those failed completely and you're suddenly left stranded somewhere with a big puddle of coolant!

Also when I was underneath the car I spotted that the inner sill was a bit weak on the nearside at the front. Some one has previously done a poor repair but I would think in my opionion this might need looking at before the next MoT.

Hope these points are of use and have great fun with your new TR - they're great cars.

All the best

James.

Hi Johnny, Welcome to the TR forum.

This is actually my first post as I too have just joined the group of TR6 owners (just trailered mine back yesterday from purchase. It would have drove, but I want to service it and rather then do a 200 mile journey on a 43 old car just bought I felt trailer was safer option)

What caught my eye is that I looked at and test drove this blue H-reg TR6 while I was looking at TR's, which I see you have now bought (I presume from the dealers in Lymington?) - I do hope you enjoy it!!

I can also confirm that its body and paintwork are in good tidy condition, and motor runs pretty well.

I did spot that it was fitted with the later engine (hence the later throttle bodies) and as you say a lot of money has been spent on it in the past.

I'm pretty thorough in my inspections and I did spot a couple of things that I'd like to let you know. (again please don't take this the wrong way, like another poster here I'm not trying to be critical of your great new purchase, just trying to be of assistance to a fellow new TR owner)

Main item was there is a couple of coolant leaks from the core plugs on the block, on the nearside if I remember correctly. They are nice and easy to replace. It would be a shame if those failed completely and you're suddenly left stranded somewhere with a big puddle of coolant!

Also when I was underneath the car I spotted that the inner sill was a bit weak on the nearside at the front. Some one has previously done a poor repair but I would think in my opionion this might need looking at before the next MoT.

Hope these points are of use and have great fun with your new TR - they're great cars.

All the best

James.

Yeah spotted those as well, but I was going to pull the engine and box and tidy the engine bay a bit so not too fussed about that, cant wait till my leg bends enough to actually get in it and drive it.

I would have thought you would have known that? have you driven one? not only that a blue cp car as it should be is the one most sort after but that is a matter of opinion

Yes I do know that Neil, you can turbo higher compression engines but it limits the amount of boost that can be run, I would pop the motor out and either machine the pistons or just get some low comp forged ones made. But you are quite right I should really drive it and see what I think of it with the mods it already has before deciding what to do with her, if I want to go fast I always have my 2000hp drag car or the Busa that will have nitrous when its rebuilt, I only really want a nippy car that does not embarass itself with hot hatches etc.

Hello Johnny and welcome to the Forum,

I belong to the South Downs Group and we would love to meet you and your car. Our next meeting is at the Five Bells, Chailey, next Tuesday 13 Nov from 8pm. It is on the A275, BN8 4DH. That meeting is also our AGM but that doesn't take long and there'll be plenty of time to chat and drink beer.

There are lots of TR6 gurus who can help with your queries but my initial advice - for what it's worth - is to drive and enjoy the car as it is and improve it as and when you want. TR6s are not rare and there is no need to become a slave to originality if you don't want to!

Welcome to the clan

Willie Felger

'59 TR3A

'72 CP TR6

Thanks Willie, I guess you are my local group, do you always meet in Chailey? I cant attend that meeting or prob the next one as im too busted up to even walk any distance let alone drive, I may be able to get a lift up in my Range Rover and have a chat and look around the other cars but can't even get in the TR at the moment !!!

Exactly

You will not take on a modern hot hatch.... without spending daft money and then loose the character of the car. You bought it for a reason?

I bought it because ive always loved them and after almost killing myself though hell Id better get on while I still can, ive always loved the shape and fancy doing a few shows, I also fancy working on a few older cars when ive recovered from these injuries, I like Triumphs, ive had 13 Dolly Sprints a couple of GT6's and a few of the saloons, had a lovely 2500S Estate once.

I dont know how well they handle but prob will straight away go for the revington rear shock conversion with a ARB.

Hi Johnny,

OK glad you'd spotted those. Sure if you're pulling the motor and box out then am sure will be good job. Yes I'd certainly go for the rear shock upgrade, it was the only one I've driven that was still on the original lever arm ones and its surprising how 'bouncy' it made it.

Yes sorry to hear you're recovering from your crash. Hope you get fixed up soon and can get to enjoy the TR...

Cheers,

J.

The revington conversion and ARB and polybushing the rear will involve a sharp intake of breath and is beyond me for a couple of months till I get some strength back, I lost 4 stone whilst in the coma and that was mostly muscle (bit of a gym bunny) and gone from benching 140kg to not being able to open a pack of crisps when I was still in hospital.