Boot catch idea

There have been other threads about getting the 4/4A boot latch to work properly. I've got an original latch but a repro locking plate, pin, striker or whatever you call it. To even get it close to working I had to butcher the hell out of the striker. I saw some noble fabrication attempts on the forum but my skills don't stretch to that so I got trawling on eBay. I took a punt on a tailgate striker from a Peugeot 307 at the princely sum of about £6.50 including postage. What had I got to lose?

Here's what I got:

Peugeot307tailgatelatch.jpg

With a bit of coarse engineering, here's what it looks like now:

ModifiedPeugeotlatch.jpg

The good thing is that it works a treat. Whether it will continue to do so in service is another matter but it looks good so far and it looks almost factory fit when installed.

I made a new thing for the handle-hook to grab on to. Will photo this for you if you want.

I basically copied the original bent up thing but made it all from solid. Started with 1/2in bar stock and trimmed it down. Two holes to fix it and a round bit pushed in to make a boss for the hook.

I have a milling machine so this was dead easy. However the design is probably easy enough to cut from steel stock with a hacksaw.

Al.

Fair enough if you have the facilities and skills to match but this was cheap, easy for a non-skilled person and it works better than the original as the catch cannot slip off the hasp.

Excellent!

This is what TR ing is all about, making something from the basket of motor car spares in the world fit and improve our cars.

Well done with that.

Cheers

Peter W

Hi Pete,

nice bit of lateral thinking.

On my boot if it was overfilled the hooky bit would flip off the spiggot forwards and open.

So I spaced out the spiggoty thing a little forwards and welded a penny washer to the end of it. Bobs you uncle (or in this day and age it could be your aunty).

Roger