TR2/3 brake light modification

Here's a tidy little project which recently appeared on Youtube.

This description from the owner: "My TR2 had a single brake light in the center of the body. I felt it was unsafe and made an update so the tail lights would function as brake lights when the turn signals were not being used. This modification does not damage or modify the original wiring harness. I ran a wire from the fuse box A4 terminal to the rear of the vehicle to power the modification."

Cheers, Deggers

Here is the rear high red brake light I fabricated and mounted about two years ago for my 1958 TR3A. TR owners following me said it looked like a flame-thrower when I braked. I had the sheetmetal part chrome plated after it was tested. It is secured with 2 screws and two tonneau cover pegs and it can be removed in about 2 minutes - just before a judged concours competition. Once it is off and the top is up, there are no visible screw heads or screw holes etc. And the fuel filler cap opens easily without any interference.

Excellent Don, a mod that is sensible for today's 'other drivers'

The flashing tail light thing on a tr2/3 is all a bit MGA for my liking.

Cheers

Peter W

If your car has the chrome plate light rather than the center brake light, Don's makes more sense as it comes right off. (Don's is probably much brighter too.) But if your car calls for the center brake brake light, the YouTube wiring modification seems a good option to me.

Tom

Hi Deggers,

I achieved the same result on the TR2 by using a Lucas relay unit from an MGA ( Lucas L 10 I think) mounted under the bonnet on the right hand side just above the horn.

I had to disconnect various bullet connectors and reconnect differently. I used the MG wireing diagram to help.

The question then is do you use amber or red plastic lenses, I have gone to amber.

Regards Colin

Hi Bill,

As I understand it from reading the MOT tester's monthly magazine, whilst I was waiting for our TR2 to be tested recently, amber brake lights are only illegal on cars after 1960.

The article was refering mainly to imported American cars where this is a common problem.

Regards, Cloin