Front number plate

The DVLA has this to say:

http://www.direct.go...t/dg_067666.pdf

The piece of legislation that determines how the plates are to be displayed is here:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001/561/contents/sld/made?view=plain

Now whilst it merely mentions that they must be clearly displayed at the front of the vehicle, it doesn't explicitly say where.

Edited by ians

I remember when the 'E' Type Jaguar came out. It sported a number plate on the bonnet (and still does, obviously).

At the time, the plods made a big fuss about it but it was eventually 'accepted', so personally I don't see why a TR

couldn't have a number plate on the front apron ~ bearing in mind that a number plate on the front apron of a TR is much

more readable than that on the 'E' Type.

Just a thought!

Tom. :)

I'm certain it is illegal on post 1960's cars, but on 2/3/3As it is a grey area ...I suspect it is technically illegal, but you'd be most unlucky to have the point taken on a 1950's car .I've never had objection to it on various TRs I've had..modern MOT men in truth don't really know, nor does Plod.My Sebring Frogeye Sprite passed the MOT with a stick on plate last month.... Certainly the E type when new negotiated a special deal with the authorities allowing it in the UK...my advice is to do it and see what happens...Bill P.

Percy,

You may have seen Mike North's ("North London Mike") rally replica blue TR4 in TR Action and on the Forum. His TR4 just has the stick on front plate on the bonnet, arguably less visible, yet (TR4Tony) Tony Sheach's rally TR4 has a more conventional valance mounted number plate. May be worth a PM to both of them to ask their experiences on the point.

I have stick- on plates on both the 5 and the 6. Have been through MoTs in recent times without any comment

re the front plates. In the case of the 5 it is on the front edge of the bonnet,like 'North London Mike's 4 and the 6 is stuck to the valence,

cheers,

Laurence

When you see all those goons driving around in their Euro fartboxes with their low level fog lights on in clear weather, that surely is illegal.

Under the Construction and Use Regulations any light lower than the centre of the headlamps can only be used in fog or falling snow etc. So I wouldn't worry about stick on number plates on the bonnet. Which of the two causes the most annoyance?

Tom.

Edited by Fireman049

I just bought my six individual letters/numbers in black and stuck them directly onto the lower part of the front valance, under the grille aperture and slightly to the offside. Never had any questions over the last ten years... Suppose it helps that they stand out visually quite well, the colour of the car being beige!

Tim.

We've been through this discussion in the past, and I endeavoured at the time to achieve a definitive answer from my chums in blue - as well as from VOSA.

Bottom line, only specific models of cars that were as original equipment fitted with stick-on number plates may still wear them. In theory.

As far as my local plod were concerned, these plates can be construed as what is technically known as a 'gobby' offence . . . . . which means that if you're driving a classic sports car so equipped, they'll accept them, usually. But if, for example, you're nicked for speeding and get gobby . . . . then if they can't add anything else to speeding, they'll add the number plates to the charge sheet.

The MoT manual chapter and verse for registration plates can be found at section 6.3

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/doitonline/bl/mottestingmanualsandguides/mottestingmanualsandguides.htm

and for our cars registered (not built, please note, registered !) prior to 01/01/1973 it's outside the MoT tester's remit.

Motor sport scrutineers are not always so lenient, and can and often will insist on a pukka plate for cars so equipped as original - that is a matter for the scrutineer's discretion, and you don't argue . . . . . not unless you're a complete clot, and gobby with it.

Cheers,

Alec

So the general consensus seems to be do whatever you want but be prepared to obey the rules if you get told off!