Oil Pressure

Hi Guys,

What is the normal running oil pressure ? when mines cold its around the 80 psi mark, when its hot it drops to just below 50 psi,these pressures are when the car is being driven, is this normal.

Cheers

Nibbo ( Nigel )

Ta for that Stuart

I can stop worrying then, cheers guy's

Nibbo

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys,

To resurrect an old thread. I was out over the weekend and when starting from cold, my oil pressure was up to 95 - 100psi. I am sure it was not running that high last time I checked (around 70-80) and dropping to around 40 on tick over.

After getting the engine up to temperature, it dips to around 60 on tick over but over 2000rpm I am still pushing 95-100psi.

Am I getting paranoid or is that a bit too high? If so, where should I start looking?

Also the PO fitted an oil cooler, I take it that'll make a difference to any responses.

Cheers,

Stephen.

You hot pressures do seem high.

My engine had a tolerenced oil pump and gives 100psi when cold, dropping to 70+ when hot above 2500rpm, about 25 when at tickover.

Steve

Not to hijack this thread, but my oil pressure drops to about 12psi or below during very hot weather. About 85 to 90 degrees fahrenheit.

I just replaced my connecting rod bearings, and I don't think they looked that bad. Most had score marks where the oil hole would seem to be

on the crank. Only light scratches though.

I replaced the spring on the oil pressure relief. This is with 20w-50 oil. Also this was 10 years ago when the car was on the road.

I'll tell you the sad thing I did.

After 10 years of being stored, I backed it out of the garage, and ran it for about 1/2 hour.

I did that three times.

On the forth time, upon cranking the engine, I heard a loud snap!

Looking under the bonnet, I found nothing wrong.

Got back in the car, and cranked it over again.

Another loud snap!

I removed the rocker cover and found two rocker arms with the tips snapped off.

I didn't change the oil in 10 years.

Don't be too hard on me-

I fit the new rocker arms, and now I've got the head off, getting a valve job done, and other things.

What happened, is that the oil got so thick, that the valves couldn't move in the guides anymore.

George.

Edited by Sparkplug

Hi Guys,

To resurrect an old thread. I was out over the weekend and when starting from cold, my oil pressure was up to 95 - 100psi. I am sure it was not running that high last time I checked (around 70-80) and dropping to around 40 on tick over.

After getting the engine up to temperature, it dips to around 60 on tick over but over 2000rpm I am still pushing 95-100psi.

Am I getting paranoid or is that a bit too high? If so, where should I start looking?

Also the PO fitted an oil cooler, I take it that'll make a difference to any responses.

Cheers,

Stephen.

Sorry Stephen but I'm not competent to make that kind of suggestion!

Trying a replacement gauge would be a good place to start, maybe see if a local register member can help out with a loan one.

For god sake make sure you fit it carefully, with the leather washer securely in place !!,

With 90-100psi - You may have a non-standard oil PRV spring or washers to uprate it - pointless and will maybe cause excess wear in oil pump drive (or heaven forbid breakage). I have found that the standard 40 year old springs are quite adequate with an otherwise good engine and give 15-20psi ide and 55-60psi hot. maybe 75-80psi really cold. 100psi is too much in my view.